The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Unfinished Tales (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3434)

Daisy Sandybanks 06-25-2002 09:27 PM

Unfinished Tales

Oh! Yay! Im really happy right now! I just bought Unfinished Tales! I would have bought The Sil. but it cost $14 something, and I only had $15, and I wanted to use my money in buying two books (other one being The Tale of the Body Theif by Anne Rice).
So, yeah, Im just posting my joy!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

ElanorGamgee 06-25-2002 09:31 PM

I just got Unfinished Tales recently too. I have nearly finished it, and it's really good. I thought that it was a bit more difficult to read than The Lord of the Rings, but still very interesting. I hope you enjoy it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Daniel Telcontar 06-26-2002 05:21 AM

You are more lucky than you know. Around were I live, the only Tolkien books are LOTR, or if it is a major bookstore they also have the hobbit. Sometimes I hate living here. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Lomelinde 06-26-2002 10:31 AM

I'm sure you don't need me to say this, but be sure to read the Sil as well. The Unfinished Tales has a lot of references to it, and you might not know what some of the stories or characters are talking about. Otherwise, enjoy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

gollum*elf*pup 06-26-2002 10:33 AM

<font color="FFCCFF"> ya, i thought it was a good book too! and ya, it was kind og harder to read, but good all the same!!! </color>

Greycloak 06-26-2002 10:48 AM

The last time I went to Costco in my town, they had both the Sil and UT for $7 each.

The Silver-shod Muse 06-26-2002 11:59 AM

The stores in my town don't even usually carry books. Too much illiteracy to be worth stocking... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Tigerlily Gamgee 06-26-2002 05:05 PM

<font color=gold> I will be beginning that book soon as well. I love the fact that I have a friend that works at Border's! Discounts!!!! YAY! It is the next book on my list of books to read this summer (along with The Chronicles of Narnia, the Mists of Avalon, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - I think thats the title of the fourth one)!

Remmirath 06-30-2002 02:36 PM

Woo! I'm just reading the UT now. I like that I get to know the characters from the Sil better. But yes, like everyone else already said, make sure to read the Silmarillion. It's critical...

Tigerlily Gamgee-All those books are awesome. The last book I read was The Mists of Avalon. The ending is less than what I wanted, but still good if you want to familarize yourself with the myths of Arthur. (easier too than Le Morte D'Arthur)

Luthien_ Tinuviel 07-01-2002 04:43 PM

Be sure to read some of the HoME too! But you don;t have to put up with Christopher Tolkien's endless commentaries if you don't want to. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] The Books of Lost Tales are awesome, especially the Tale of Tinuviel!