The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Novices and Newcomers (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A silly little poll, but... favourite Noldorin king? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=3526)

Altariel 12-23-2003 10:05 PM

A silly little poll, but... favourite Noldorin king?

So? Finwe, Feanor, Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon or Gil-galad? ^__^;

I love me some Feanor. For some inexplicable reason, he's also one of my favourite characters.

"Oh no! What do I do?"

"Chant!"

"I am not a fangirl. I am not a fangirl. I am not a fangirl. I am not---aah, screw it, c'mere, Feanor, I'll comfort you!"

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-24-2003 02:30 PM

I would say Fingolfin or Fingon. They were both rather alike.

Phervasaion 12-24-2003 02:33 PM

I always liked Fingolfin because he decided to take on Morgoth one on one.

Altariel 12-24-2003 02:48 PM

Yeah, Fingolfin's my next-favourite. ^^

Failivrin 12-24-2003 03:30 PM

Oh i just really like most of them actually!

Until yesterday, Fingolfin was my clear favourite. As a matter of fact, I still probably love him the best. I just think he was wonderful; not horrible (Feanor) and not wimpy (Finarfin). Yes, yes i know Finarfin wasn't wimpy but i always liked the way Fingolfin didn't want to leave Valinor but he went because his people were.

And then, today, i got this sudden urge to like Feanor. The fiery spirit appeals to me. However, i just have to think about the number of Fingolfin's host he killed and that urge goes [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

And of course how could we forget Felagund? I like how he took on the werewolf. I like how he honoured his oath and i love how Felagund was originally a jesting nickname [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] .

Overall possibly Fingolfin.

Finwe 12-24-2003 04:47 PM

My favorite High King would have to be...... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Now, honestly, could you expect any other answer? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tuor Turambar,Cursed by the Valar 12-24-2003 11:28 PM

Fingolfin. For the sole reason that i like the discription of his armor when he goes to fight morgoth.

NightKnight 12-25-2003 03:08 PM

My favorite would be Fingolfin or Fingon. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Orominuialwen 12-25-2003 11:02 PM

Fingolfin, probably. I would be tickled to death if I said otherwise. Why, you ask. My little brother's name here is High King Fingolfin, so he is obviously a fan. But Finrod is a close second with Fingon coming in third.

Eomer of the Rohirrim 12-27-2003 12:49 PM

I think the topic starter meant 'High King of the Noldor', which would rule out Finrod Felagund.

That's why I did not say Finrod, because he is probably my favourite character in the Silmarillion.

Luthien_ Tinuviel 12-28-2003 04:02 PM

Fingolfin, definately. For his courage and all. Even though Finrod Felagund, wasn't a High King, he comes second on my list. And would come first, but... he doesn't fit the category.

Lhunardawen 12-28-2003 10:12 PM

It would have to be Fingolfin. Who would not like an Elf who was likened to a Vala (Oromë, when he attacked Morgoth)? I almost even cried when he died... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also, Gil-galad. He's like Fingolfin, in a smaller scale. (He attacked Sauron, though he definitely wasn't alone then. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Thorongil 12-31-2003 08:54 AM

I like Finwe too. Fingolfin wasn't the only one with guts. When Morgoth Came to Formenos, he stood alone before him while everyone ran. Not many would do that!

Emma Woodhouse 12-31-2003 09:12 AM

Finrod, Finrod, Finrod. No wait, he doesn´t work out, not being a high king and all. Man, I really like him...

Okay, High Kings then...Fingolfin! He counts, right? I think he was very wise and very very brave, and it´s not like it was a piece of cake to lead your people over ice. That was totally admireable.

lore_master 01-02-2004 04:30 PM

my favorite is Finwe, he probably has to be one of the bravest elves. after all, he went to Valinor when they caled the elven leaders to go, and he didnt flee foprm Melkor when he came to Finwe's house. he also fought Melkor, but sadly died during the process. so he is favorite, also he became the first high king, which probably took some skill to become.

Northman 01-02-2004 09:52 PM

I like fingolfin. But i think finarfin is the best noldor cause its seems like he was the only one with any sense

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:53 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Northman ]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 10:54 PM January 02, 2004: Message edited by: Northman ]

lore_master 01-03-2004 05:33 PM

what sense did finarfin have that any other elf, besides, feanor and all of his kids, have?

Northman 01-03-2004 07:25 PM

finarfin realized that it would be best to go seek pardon rather than die fighting morgoth

Morgul Queen 01-03-2004 09:25 PM

*sighs* My Favourite character is Celebrimbor, who, unfortunatly, wasn't High-King (Damn you, Maedhros. Damn you!). So that makes my second favourite my favourite... FEANOR!!

How can you *not* love the guy? He's stubborn, has family problems, willful, has a temper, in other words He's not seemingly perfect like most of the Elves in the Silm, and he was corrupted be Morgoth, not born stupid. And he was High-King, even if it was only for a few months.

morchaint 01-03-2004 10:09 PM

High King? Mine would have to be Fingolfin, even though I like Finarfin...

Fingolfin was cool, taking on Morgoth. I like Finarfin because he chose to beg pardon and he kept his group of Elves from a lot of pain and bloodshed.

Everdawn 01-04-2004 12:53 AM

I like Fëanor as well, i was about to say "well im going to be an individual and say Fëanor" but thank goodnes there is another.

I just think the guy was cool, plus, he made pretty jewels. And for his sons, i liked Celegorm as well, even though he tried to capture Luthien. The Fëanor's are ok in my book.

Arothir 01-04-2004 03:12 PM

What, only High Kings?! I'd say Maedros, he definitely held together the Noldor high atop the peaks of Thangorodrim, just kidding. Finwe definitely. He doesn't make bad decisions really. Of course Arothir will always be my favorite king, and his realm of Nargothrond my favorite kingdom.

Failivrin 01-04-2004 04:17 PM

i don't see how Finarfin had sense that no other Elf had. I personally find it far more admirable that Fingolfin wished to go back, or atleast was unwilling to leave, but felt that his duty to the Noldor was so great that he would go with them, whatever their decision.

My mind has been mad up though, definitely Fingolfin. He was the most courageous and brave and his stand against Morgoth was beautiful. To not have the orcs speak of that battle was a truly great feat.

The Dark Elf 01-04-2004 06:45 PM

Gil-Galad rules!

Finwe 01-04-2004 09:27 PM

I always thought that Finarfin was a pansy who didn't want to chip his gorgeous little manicure. *muttermutterselloutmuttermutter*

Honestly, Fëanor is my absolute favorite. True, he was headstrong and impulsive, but that made him who he was. He wasn't afraid of the Valar like most of the other Elves. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind, even when he was wrong.

Nilpaurion Felagund 01-06-2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

And of course how could we forget Felagund?
Of course, who could. As for his unknown son...

Quote:

Now, honestly, could you expect any other answer? ;)
No, Finwe. It was really obvious. ;)

What about Turgon, people? It took a lot of courage to accept your wrongs(he thought Gondolin to be invincible) and "sink with your ship." But then again, he did hide for most of the Silm, and has virtually done nothing. :(

I would say Fingolfin.

Altariel 01-07-2004 12:21 PM

Ah, Finwe. Morgul Queen and Everdawn... I see I have three kindred spirits!

Did I mention that I absolutely love Feanor? ^_^

I still liked Gil-galad, Finwe and FIngolfin, too... and I nearly cried when Fingolfin died...

But I love Feanor's passion and charisma.

Failivrin 01-07-2004 03:02 PM

Oh yes, Turgon. I really do like Turgon a lot. He would possibly be about my 4th favourite (haven't thought out a list, sorry!). I really liked the bit where he came and raised a cairn over Fingolfin. I dunno why, it just seemed beautiful. But i also like im because he admitted he was wrong and because of how accepting he was of Tuor when he first came to Gondolin.

Gil-Galad 01-07-2004 05:40 PM

i like my self and turgon, since i think turgon was the wiset, at some times (i would've kept hurin in gondolin or don't send alot of men to battle)

Morgul Queen 01-10-2004 09:55 PM

All hail the Feanor Worshipers. I do agree, he has an amazing charisma....just like Hitler! waidamintickhere....

oh, and Gil-Galad! Love the Avatar [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Northman 01-11-2004 04:48 PM

yo, dont say anything good about Hitler.

Altariel 01-17-2004 09:35 PM

Wooop! Hail Feanor Worshipers indeed!

Heh. Hitler? Except Feanor wasn't a genocidal maniac. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As for "not saying anything good about Hitler," the man did things that were absolutely abhorrent. There's no denying that his bigotry was sickening and his crimes during WWII monstrous almost beyond comprehension... but then again, there's no denying that he would never have gained the influence he had without charisma and, dare I say it, a certain degree of intelligence.

Northman 01-17-2004 09:56 PM

Feanor was charasmatic I'll give you that, but, he does kind of show some of mankinds worst qualities like stuborn pride. He wanted to get his simerals back no matter what.

Altariel 01-17-2004 10:17 PM

Some might say that wanting to get his Silmarils back no matter what wasn't a sign of one of mankind's worst qualities, but a sign of strong will and resolve. Hubris was definitely a bit of an issue with Feanor, though, you're quite right. I'd say his lack of foresight had a great deal to do with his downfall... a bit of rational planning might have done him good instead of rushing right over to Angband in a fit of insane rage... :P

Aww, Feanor, I still love you... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Finwe 01-18-2004 08:39 PM

It's always the worst leaders who are the most eloquent and charismatic speakers. They have no other way of convincing the populace to follow them.

As the famous Eddie Izzard said, what you say is only 5%. The rest of it is how you say it. Ergo, Kennedy could get away with saying "I'm a jelly doughnut," right in the middle of Berlin.

Robomir 01-19-2004 06:58 AM

I reckon Turgon is the best because I think Gondolin is great, and its cool when he marches out to help the rest of the Noldor at that battle. (I cant remember its name).

Finwe 01-19-2004 08:09 AM

You're talking about the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, where Turgon dramatically marched in to try to save the day for his brother, but ended up failing. That entire battle was the epitome of bad luck.

Altariel 01-19-2004 10:58 AM

You know, Finwe, you might have something there...

Which forces me to draw some unfortunate conclusions about Feanor... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Enh, I never claimed he was a good leader (if he were a good leader, would he have failed so miserably? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]). I just like his character. And I reckon he was probably pretty hot as well. *grins foolishly* Being a tall, darkhaired, brilliant elf... I could go on for days. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

As for the Nirnaeth Arnoediad... ouch. O.O The epitome of bad luck, indeed. That was unpleasant for everyone involved.

Laitoste 01-20-2004 07:45 PM

Feanor?! Feanor?! I must say, ladies, that I fail to understand your reasoning. Why not go after the only one of the sons of Finwe with at least half a brain? I mean, Finarfin is obviously the smartest of his brothers, who thinks enough of his people to lead them back to Valinor and be forgiven by the Valar. This is more noble than not following what you KNOW is right and following your people. Fingolfin ended up dying because he did the opposite. Sorry if I sound offensive. I had no intention of doing so.

Turgon is also on my list. I've always liked Gondolin. I imagined it to be the most lovely of all the elf-kingdoms.

Finrod is cool, but since he's not a high king...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:46 PM January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Laitoste ]

Curufinwe 07-05-2004 08:29 PM

I would say Fingolfin would be the best High King of the Noldor because he was fearless. He challenged Morgoth to single combat.