The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   Middle-earth Mirth (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   If the people of Middle Earth played football (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=5569)

Rose Cotton 01-26-2003 05:47 PM

If the people of Middle Earth played football

I'm talking about American football. What would the teams be and who would be on them? Who would beat who? And anything else.

Diamond18 01-26-2003 06:10 PM

Watching the Super Bowl, are you Rose?

Did you want us to make up teams, or imagine who would be on real teams? Like, of course, Gwaihir would be on the Eagles, and Beorn on the Bears.

[ January 26, 2003: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]

Gorwingel 01-26-2003 06:19 PM

Yes, I was going to say that are you watching to Super Bowl (I am too) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
The orcs would make a great group of football players, they are already hutched back like fullbacks (I don't know very much football lingo, I just know some words here and there) And the hobbits are short so they could make it through groups of tall people easily.

Lady Of Light 01-26-2003 07:22 PM

If they played football.... I wouldn't respect them half as much.

BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT ROHAN WOULD WIN!!!!

the phantom 01-27-2003 10:16 AM

Well, the corsairs of Umbar would be on either the Raiders or the Bucs team (either way, they're in the Super Bowl). Trolls and ents could play for the Giants. Ghan-buri-ghan (spelling?) would play for the Chiefs.

Tar-Palantir 01-27-2003 01:59 PM

Sauron would be Al Davis...

Inderjit Sanghera 01-28-2003 09:25 AM

I'd much rather talk about them playing REAL football-what you Yanks refer to as soccer. After all there is a football reference in the Hobbit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

lord of dor-lomin 01-28-2003 09:52 AM

Dwarves would play for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Grond could play for the St Louis Rams (get it? ram?). Also, Aragorn would play for whoever wins the Super Bowl each year because he can't lose (though, he might choose to play hockey with the NY Rangers).

I imagine Gandalf would choose to play basketball, for the Washington Wizards of course.

PS I've played plenty of soccer and I really like it, so don't get me wrong, but football is the most wonderful sport in the world! Tolkien didn't mention it because it's popularity hadn't grown yet. If he were alive today I'm sure he'd say that football is "The Lord of the Sports".

VanimaEdhel 01-29-2003 05:41 PM

Actually, I could see Legolas playing tennis or something.

We all know Rohan would be into Grand Prix jumping and horseracing.

The Saucepan Man 01-30-2003 09:05 AM

I'm with Inderjit, on this. Proper football is what many of you here call soccer.

Lord of Dor Lomin:

Quote:

... but football is the most wonderful sport in the world! Tolkien didn't mention it because it's popularity hadn't grown yet.
Of course American football is popular ... in America. Hate to disillusion you, but there are not many other countries where it is more popular than football proper. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

And talking football, Manwe would of course play for the greatest team, Chelsea, which makes sense with his colour being blue and all. I imagine he would play centre forward with Pallando and his mate on the wings.

I always imagined Elves' sport as cricket. After all, a game that takes 5 days to play one match would suit a race with lots of time on their hands. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Inderjit Sanghera 01-30-2003 02:50 PM

If he plays for Chelsea up front then it looks liek you can sell Jimmy Floyd and Fat man Eidur. And isn't 'soccer' popular in more countries then 'American Football', or as I refer it 'Rugby for sissies'? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Diamond18 01-30-2003 06:22 PM

Don't be rude. Start your own thread for real football.

Rosseiliantiel 01-30-2003 07:50 PM

Whoever's on what team, I'm bettin' on Morgoth!

i*love*orli 01-30-2003 08:19 PM

Legolas would definately play tennis. Im not sure if Gimli could be on a team. and if he was, he would be front and center bench warmer [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

eleanor_niphredil 01-31-2003 01:01 AM

Gimli as a cheerleader! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I would say that Badminton is more Legolas's sport. More dainty!

I always thought that the roar of the uruk-hai army sounds so much like the crowd at a football match, refering of course to, not "proper" football, European Football I suppose.

I my opinion, both games are not that great, but I prefere to play our football.

[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: eleanor_niphredil ]

Aryan 02-22-2003 03:08 PM

i'm kinda thinking english football here.
Aragirn would be a good player but would get sent off al the time for attacking other players with his sword.
Legolas would be able to score a lot of goals as he has really good eyesight.
Gimli could be the ball.

eleanor_niphredil 02-22-2003 03:14 PM

Legolas would do all the fancy footwork, and a hobbit would be the ball!

Gorwingel 02-22-2003 10:20 PM

Legolas could also probably do Gymnastics, especially with the way he jumped on that horse [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel 02-23-2003 05:45 PM

Hmmm...if Legolas played tennis and was playing against Andy Roddick, who would I root for? I love them both so much...it would be a draw: they both should win. *Blushes innocently*

And that stunt, although it was very, very cool, was also very, very un-Tolkienian. I mean Elves are good, but I don't know if they're that good...and Legolas is too tall to be a gymnast: even male gymnasts are only about 5'7" at tallest. Legolas was over 6'.

Lyra Greenleaf 02-23-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

I'd much rather talk about them playing REAL football-what you Yanks refer to as soccer. After all there is a football reference in the Hobbit.
i'm with you.
btw why is american football called football anyway when they run around with it?

sorry. obviously sauron is alex ferguson. you know, all powerful, doing great then along come ARSENAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (chelsea stink [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) and snatch it out from under his nose. arsenal being our heroes of the fellowship etc.

i think thierry henry might be a good frodo- just a gut feeling.

oh, and with the beckham/boot scandal its obvious that sauron ferguson follows sauron number one's policy of treating his friends and followers like dirt.

arsene wenger would be a great gandalf!

and i can just see the elves playing cricket! has anyone seen lagaan? i can see the fellowship as bhuvan, etc against sauron as captain russell. elizabeth would be one of the valar, varda i guess, helping out.

Quote:

real football
(Diamond took)
(so- even americans know ours is the real one? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]