The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If You Could have one scene from the Silmarillion? (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9320)

Ibun_Clawarrow 04-14-2002 01:31 PM

If You Could have one scene from the Silmarillion?

If you could have one scene from the Silmarillion filmed in the same basic fashion as FOTH and you were the director/producer and could film it in any way you wanted, bar costs, which would it be? For me it would either be the fashioning of the sun and the moon (see my signature)or the darking of Valinor.

Ereinion 04-14-2002 01:49 PM

I think I'd probably most like to do a battle. Perhaps the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (sp?). With the shining arms of the Elves and the terrible fire of the Balrog would make quite a sight. I would also like to see the Dagor Bragollach. Well, mostly the challenge of Fingolfin against Morgoth. That would be spectacular, in my opinion. Course, if it was up to me we'd film the whole thing.

Lush 04-14-2002 03:39 PM

The meeting of Beren and Lúthien. Húrin's last stand (though I don't know if I could bear to watch that). Eärendil's voyage. The battle between Glorfindel and the Balrog (once again, it may be unbearable). The creation of the Trees in Valinor...I daresay some beautiful parts are simply unfilmable though.

Kalimac 04-14-2002 04:26 PM

This might sound twisted, but you could probably make a really good dark movie out of Turin Turambar and Nienor Niniel - especially that last scene where Glaurung says "Hail, Nienor, daughter of Hurin." If you did it right it could be as good (and excruciating) as one of the Oedipus cycle plays. Though I'm not sure how you'd do Gurthang talking to Turin; probably a voiceover or something the way they did that distant, hissing voice for the Ring in FOTR.

Arwen Imladris 04-14-2002 04:45 PM

I would have to say something with Numenor, maybe when they all leave. Either that or when everthing is being created.

Tigerlily Gamgee 04-14-2002 05:04 PM

Definitly Beren and Luthien! I really loved that whole story!

Thinhyandoiel 04-15-2002 12:33 AM

I don't know. Either 1) The kinslaying of the Teleri <BR>or 2) Glorfindel's battle with the Balrog<BR>or 3) Beren and Luthien<P>In that order. The kinslaying had me so sad when I read it!!

Eärendil 04-15-2002 07:29 AM

Well, I would really like to film the whole book, but anyway....<BR>I can´t choose between Beren and Lúthien, Eärendils voyage (surprised? ), the creation of Middle-Earth, some big battles, etc etc....

amyrlis 04-15-2002 12:55 PM

Anything with my two favorite characters - Maedhros & Maglor. Tuor's encounter with Ulmo - although I'm pretty satisfied with J.Howe's rendition of that. Mandos giving the "Doom of the Noldor" speech!

Sirithregion 04-15-2002 05:45 PM

It's really hard to pick just one scene... The Silmarillion is just full of awesome scenes... But if I had to choose just the one scene, I'd go with...<P><I>The Fall of Fingolfin</I>. Just imagine the battle! Fingolfin sounding his horn outside the gates of Angband, and inside Morgoth watching his troops run around, frightened, and he himself being unwilling to face Fingolfin... Or Fingolfin wounding Morgoth...

amyrlis 04-16-2002 12:20 PM

Ooooo...The Fall of Fingolfin! I get goosebumps just thinking about it! Good choice Sirithregion!