The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/index.php)
-   The Movies (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hidden Surprise In Special Edition DVD (http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=9457)

HCIsland 01-29-2003 04:29 PM

Hidden Surprise In Special Edition DVD

I found this by mistake and I'll apologize in advance if this has already been found by others. I did a quick search, but couldn't find any reference to it.<P>If you have the special edition FoTR, Go to the select scene in the main menu of the first disk and then skip ahead to the Council of Elrond (last scene on the disk), but don't press play. Instead press down and a gold ring should appear at the bottom. When it appears press Enter.<P>Enjoy. <P>I wonder if there is anything else hidden in there.<P>H.C.

LePetitChoux 01-29-2003 04:33 PM

You're right - this has been found before. But I can't access mine for some weird reason. It doesn't seem to be on the Mac version.

eleanor_niphredil 01-29-2003 04:34 PM

When I press down, all that happens is that it goes back to the prologue

Mattius 01-29-2003 04:41 PM

mine justs goes to the prologue too- maybe it doesn't work on the britsh version<p>[ January 29, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]

Eruwen 01-29-2003 04:57 PM

Well, do you actually go to the ring and press enter? I think you have to press enter when your selection has moved to the ring. <P>But just speaking for myself here, I would find the TTT trailer instead and watch that. The MTV spoof has got to be the most vulger thing anyone could ever do to make fun of LOTR. I thought it was extremely stupid although most here would disagree. <P>Anyway, you can find alot about this subject by using the search feature. I think there was like a 5-page thread on it. {I'm not sure if it got deleted or not though, but you can check.}

Lily Bracegirdle 01-29-2003 05:17 PM

I believe the skit was not put on the British DVD because it would affect the rating or something.<P>*SPOILERS*<P>For those of you without the scene, it showes an alternate version of the Council of Elrond in which Jack Black, ringbearer, when told to bring forth the Ring, admits he got drunk the night before and took it to a piercing parlor. It's quite vulgar, but pretty funny. <P>The TTT trailer is on the second disk. Go to the "Fan Club" page, go left to the numbers and highlight the last set. Hit down arrow. When two towers show up, press enter. The trailer is very good, but nearly none of the scenes in it are actually in the movie.<P>-Lily

Gorwingel 01-29-2003 08:48 PM

I thought the MTV parody was kind of funny, disturbing, but funny. I found out about these before I bought the DVD, I even leave a little note in my copy about how to access them, so I never forget.

Tar-Palantir 01-29-2003 08:55 PM

"You have my sword."<P>"And my axe!"

Aratlithiel 01-29-2003 09:46 PM

ROFL. I love that smilie, Tar-Palantir. My favorite is, "Yo! Frodo! Eyes up here." On a side note, anyone notice how many scenes there are in that trailer on the DVD that weren't in TTT? I think there's speculation on another thread about what's going to be in the ext. TTT - wish they'd add more than 1/2 hour this time.

Diamond18 01-29-2003 09:56 PM

I watched that thing with Jack Black. I must say that I've gotten more laughs out of watching the weeds grow in my front yard.

Aratlithiel 01-29-2003 11:31 PM

Well, Diamond, you obviously didn't watch it with a roomful of teen-agers. My kids had some friends over (there were about 12 seventeen-yr-olds crowded around my TV) and they all ROARED. Just watching them was entertainment enough - I just HAD to like it.

Arwen Evenstar the Fair 02-10-2003 02:53 PM

Is there any other surprises that people have found on the SE DVD?

Horse-Maiden of the Shire 02-10-2003 04:58 PM

You might notice the fine craftsmanshi-OAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!<P>hee hee hee!<BR>But ai! I got my special edition VHS BEFORE i got my DVD player....and now I don't want to buy the DVD becase i dont want to waste my two VHS's...oh well my friend is going to get it and ill steal it from her. Mwah.

balrogman 02-10-2003 05:20 PM

That may be one of the funniest things i have ever seen(I am a huge Jack Black fan though) It is quite rude and some LotR fans may find it offensive but I personally find it hilarious

luin'loki 02-10-2003 05:27 PM

wasn't that on MTV music awards?!I saw and I laughed like crazy when Boromir says it's a gift.That was hilarious!

Coral 02-10-2003 06:56 PM

Is this gonna turn into the LoTR South Park controversy

Arwen Evenstar the Fair 02-11-2003 07:52 PM

Ohhhh geezz, I hope not!!! lol

Morgul Queen 02-11-2003 09:32 PM

Ummmmmm, how did you get the South Park thing.<BR>BTW anyone else been watching the TTT trailer over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and...well you get the point, but in the overhead shot of the Uruk-hai has anyone managed to find Merry and Pippin yet 'cause I havn't and I want to!!

Diamond18 02-11-2003 09:38 PM

I think they mean a tasteless vs. funny controversy.<P>I just think it's boring. Groin jokes are old, old, ooooold, and it takes something more clever and original to make me laugh.<P>On the other hand, it's not one of those "isn't LotR dumb and geeky" spoofs, so I don't care about how other people enjoyed it. Have fun.

Anorien 02-11-2003 09:44 PM

err, is it a DVD rom, or DVD player feature? i'm gonna go check, but ya can tell me here anywayz...lol! ty fur the tip!

Gilthalion 02-12-2003 09:32 AM

<B>Lily:</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The TTT trailer is on the second disk. Go to the "Fan Club" page, go left to the numbers and highlight the last set. Hit down arrow. When two towers show up, press enter. The trailer is very good, but nearly none of the scenes in it are actually in the movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Am I missing something? I do not see any additional features, much less a fan club, mentioned anywhere on the 2nd disk of the Extended DVD. Is this the TTT trailer on the second disk of the Theatrical DVD?<P>I did find the MTV Council of Elrond scene, however, on the first disk as directed. Peter Jackson had a certain twinkle in his eye as he introduced it. It was utterly disgusting, and I'm ashamed that I laughed. I was expecting Gimli to actually jump up with the axe...

Discord101 02-12-2003 03:48 PM

If you can't acsess the MTV Jack Black thing on your DVD you can watch it here<BR> <A HREF="http://viral.lycos.co.uk/vroot/1153/" TARGET=_blank>http://viral.lycos.co.uk/vroot/1153/</A>

Laialthriel 02-12-2003 04:39 PM

I'm sorry to say that I found it. I was hoping for something actually remotely worth my time. No such luck. I really am disappointed they even put that on there. It completely takes away the dignity of LotR. Very much MTV style. Oh well. I don't have to watch it again, so whatever.<P>~*Laialthriel*~

Lily Bracegirdle 02-12-2003 04:44 PM

Hi, Gilthalion!<P>Sorry for my abbreviated instructions before. I was going from memory.<P>Okay, to get to the Two Towers trailer:<BR>1) Put in Disc 2 of the extended edition DVD<BR>2) Select "Main menu"<BR>3) Select "Select a scene"<BR>4) Go right to the numbers and select "48"<BR>5) On the "Official Fan Club Credits" page, go right to the number "48" again.<BR>6) Push the Down button.<BR>7) You should see two towers appear. Press enter.<P>Hope that works for you.<BR>Enjoy! <P>-Lily<p>[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Lily Bracegirdle ]

TealDude3 02-12-2003 05:15 PM

I posted a thread about the two hidden secrets mmyself, and I'm sure there are no others.<P>Jack Black + LOTR parody = HILARIOUS!!!! <P>"Bring fourth the ring."

DaughterofVana 02-13-2003 11:02 AM

It was confirmed... somehow... that the Jack Black spoof was intentionally left out of UK DVD's because it was deemed obscene. Which is true. Maybe that's why you can't find it, Eleanor, since you hail from jolly old England. Don't worry, you're not missing much. The only good part about the easter eggs was TTT trailer, and since that is already deemed out of date anyway, basically now the easter eggs are defunct. Unless there are any more out there...<P>-'Vana

Purple Monkey 02-13-2003 03:31 PM

Eurgh. <BR>Jack Black is awful. What's the actual *point* of his existence?<BR><p><BR>Purple "I hated Shallow Hal too" Monkey

Gilthalion 02-13-2003 06:39 PM

<B>Lily:</B><P>Thanks! Worked perfectly! The Hidden TTT preview, which I did not see at the theatre, definitely gives us a heads-up for some things that may be on the TTT Extended DVD.<P>It seems they may spend a little time developing Aragorn's claim to the throne of Gondor.

Lily Bracegirdle 02-13-2003 08:12 PM

Gilthalion, glad it worked for you! Wasn't it something? It's too bad almost none of those scenes were in the movie!<P>Purple Monkey, wasn't Jack Black in Hi Fidelity with John Cusack? I thought he was okay in that.<P>-Lily

Cibbwin 02-13-2003 08:33 PM

*pokes Peri* Lookie dat!

BethoHOG 02-14-2003 06:32 PM

My brother had downloaded that thing off the internet or something, and I happened to wander over and watched it. I laughed my head off, but was pretty "sickified" anyways. My brother was like, "... this thing is on the extended DVD... better not let Mom and Dad see it." Haha...

Dain 02-23-2003 06:19 PM

That preview is pretty cool, thanks Lily! I noticed some things that weren't included in the actual release. Why can't the extended DvD come out now. They should just release it in theatres, I bet it would sell!

Goldberry 02-23-2003 07:18 PM

I'm confused. Is the special edition the same as the extended edition? Could somebody explain all these different versions to me please? Thanks <P>oh yeah also - I stumbled into that thing on MTV as I was flipping through the channels; I think it was the same thing. I was shocked but I thought it was a tiny bit funny. I didn't really like it that much though.<p>[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]

Lily Bracegirdle 02-23-2003 07:32 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are two DVD sets out there:<P>The "Theatrical version", which has two DVDs (the movie on one and extras on the other), and the "Extended edition" that has 4 DVDs (the movie on two and extras on the other two). The Extended version also comes in a box set with Argonath bookends and *another* DVD with the National Geographic special on the "making of FotR" on it. (Has anyone seen it? Is it good?)<P>The Easter Eggs are on discs one and two of the "Extended" edition. Does anyone know if they're on the Theatrical version also?<P>-Lily

Arvedui III 02-23-2003 07:33 PM

Nope, I tried finding them.

Iarwain 03-02-2003 02:22 PM

It's so sad, the preview made TTT look like it was going to be so perfect. (other than Galadriel's bit, and Saruman's part about "the world of men".<P>Mourning for twisted Tales,<BR>Iarwain

hobbit punk 03-06-2003 02:58 PM

I happened to have muchmusic on one night expecting the punk show to come on, but instead what I got was the MTV movie awards. On these awards was the Jack Black FOTR spoof. It was on because Jack Black was one of the hosts. I thought it was generally stupid because lets face it, it's Jack Black(excluding High Fidelity because I heard that has some integrity). The only parts I thought were funny was when Gimli says "and my axe!" and when Boromir says "It is a gift." But overall it made me sick to my stomach.

Aerandir Carnesir 03-08-2003 10:57 AM

!!! That was hilarious! I did hear that it was on the MTV music awards, and I was really dissapointed that I missed it. He He, "Frodo! Frodo! Eyes up here!" Ha Ha! It was a little...ok, VERY disturbing, but it was so funny! OK. Thanks to MTV, whoever brought this thread up, and...P.J. for putting it in the DVD. <P>Ranger of the Dúnedain,(RRRRRIIIIIIPPPP!!! :eek <P>Aerandir Carnesir

vanwalossien 03-10-2003 06:50 AM

I saw that at the MTV Movie Awards, I loved it. I think Jack Black is great fun. When people make fun of Lotr, and I laugh at it, it is almost self-irony <BR>"Yo, eyebrows!"<p>[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]