View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 11:22 PM   #18
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, but actually I never knew there was doubt about his parentage! Busy mother eh? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I also think that she hadn't acknowledged a desire to return to Valinor until that moment, either.
I have always thought this Lalaith, glad to see someone else with the same view. I always presumed that whilst she always knew she would return to Valinor, it was always a distant, vague time in the future and after a life of more than 7000 years, who can blame the ambiguity? And whilst she knew it was an inevitability, she was happy and settled in Lorien, and would be reluctant to leave it without due cause. The Elves were diminishing and I think her decision regarding her time to return West lay with the outcome of Gandalf's mission, almost to the extent of always having intended to return with him, if the outcome was as desired.
But until Frodo offered her the Ring, I don't believe she had quite realised the magnitude of the Ring's power (having never come in contact with it) and also realised the decreasing importance of the Elves. She evidently knew the Elder Days were ending, but I think at precise moment was her rather rueful acceptance of this fact, and that she was coming up to the home stretch, as it were.

I also believe that Frodo had a humbling effect on Galadriel. Her being vulnerable to the Ring as much as anybody, for example, may have been an awakening for her, in regards to the urgency of the situation and the absolute power of the Ring. Sure, she already knew but she hadn't experienced it first-hand, as yet. Like anything else, it became more real as she could see/feel/touch it, and I think this was humbling because perhaps, being Lady of the Wood and revered and feared all over Middle Earth, she now finally realised her time in Lorien (and ME) was over, and that she would have to return to Valinor, where she wouldn't have been so extraordinary. Okay, so maybe not the last bit but I'm rather amused by the idea of her being bitter and twisted at having to go back to live amongst Ainur and other High Elves when previously she was ruling the roost!
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote