View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
This is mere presumpsyion, but in the appendices it says they "sacked all the strongholds of the orcs from Mt. Gundabad to the gladden" so i assume they took it right at the beginning - in 2796.
That is a good point, one that I had forgotten.

However, I don't think that any Dwarves remained there to live, but that is just an impression. I think that if the Dwarves had taken and kept possession of Gundabad then Thrain etc. would have taken up residence there rather than returning to their wanderings.

Perhaps the structures of Gundabad sustained substantial, or even catastrophic, damage during the war and were uninhabitable, or because of its isolated location the Dwarves did not think that they could hold it.

But that is all speculation. It was certainly in the hands of the orcs in 2941, and I would believe that it had been that way for a good long time before that.