View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 12:42 PM   #4
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now, I am confused. I asked for people's opinions, not stating that any proofs would be "correct" or "incorrect". I'm sorry if I offended you Gallorme, but I believe we already discussed this topic together. I say "fine" to all of your opinions except one. You say that he has no relevance in his tales, but I say he does. Take a moment to think about the genre that all of his books are placed under: Fantasy, right? Then, ask whose fantasies? And here is the key. Woven in with the stories that you only think of only as a means of personal enjoyment, are dreams and ideas that could have been spun by none other than the "clever" Mr. Tolkien because of their wistful, reflective nature. Whether from the Book of Lost Tales, or the Silmarillion, or even the Lays of Beleriand; is not "the tale of tinuviel", "lay of leithian", or simply "beren and luthien" the most heroic, helpless, and yet the most joyful of all his tales in the end? And surely, Gallorme, you know whose tale he is telling. Now ask yourself another question. Without that clever (but ultimately disreguardable) man, would any of these tales really be the same?