View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 09:40 PM   #23
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Since the prophecy is considered a Numenorean compilation, could it not be that it was crafted by them to prove that Men were destined to do great things? I know this is a bit of a far-fetched claim, but hear me out. We don't know which "group" of the Numenoreans put that legend together. Logically speaking, it would be the Elendili, but what if it was the King's Men? They believed that it was their task to finish what Earendil "started," to set foot on Aman. Why would they not surreptitiously use one of the greatest heroes of the Edain to prove their own point? It sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it could forever "subvert" tales, and show that Men were, after all, good for something. Turin "coming back" to slay Morgoth would be exactly the type of legend that the King's Men would have loved, a case of a Man doing something that an Elf, or even a Vala, could not.

EDIT: I realize that this sounds like a nonsensical conspiracy theory post, but it could have been possible.

[ July 14, 2003: Message edited by: Finwe ]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote