View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 05:08 PM   #23
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I have re-read the 'Meaglins trechery' part. It is in it self very well done. But I would like to suggest a further change. Aiwendil had brought up the matter of Sauron as the captor. Since JRR Tolkien was himself not sure about that, it is clearly beter not to adress the matter explicit. But in the version above it is explicity stated that he was captured by orks. In addition I don't see how we can Meaglin let report to the orks all he knows about the defens of Gondolin and than try to tell Morgoth only the place were it is.
I would shorten the episode with the orks and change them to spies and maybe work some of it into the later acount of his talk to Morgoth. I will try a my hand on it:
Quote:
§ 37 [On a time when Eärendil was yet young, and the days of Gondolin were full of joy and peace {and yet Idril's heart misgave her, and foreboding crept upon her spirit like a cloud}, Maeglin was lost. Now Maeglin loved mining and quarrying after metals above other craft; and he was master and leader of the Elves who worked in the mountains distant from the city, seeking for metals for their smithying of things both of peace and war. But often Maeglin went with few of his folk beyond the leaguer of the hills, though the king knew not that his bidding was defied; and so it came to pass, as fate willed, that Maeglin] {Now it so chanced that not long after Maeglin went to the hills for the getting of ore, and} straying in the mountains alone was taken [prisoner] by some of the {Orcs}[spies of Morgoth] prowling there, and they would do him evil and terrible hurt{, knowing him to be a man of the Gondolindrim}. This was however unknown of Tuor's watchers. [Maeglin was no weakling or craven, but the torment wherewith he was threatened cowed his soul, and] {But} evil came into the heart of Maeglin, and he said to his captors: "Know then that I am Maeglin son of Eöl who had to wife Aredhel sister of Turgon king of the Gondolindrim." But they said: "What is that to us?" And Maeglin answered: "Much is it to you; for if you slay me, be it speedy or slow, ye will lose great tidings concerning the city of Gondolin that your master would rejoice to hear.{" Then the Orcs stayed their hands, and said they would give him life if the matters he opened to them seemed to merit that; and Maeglin told them of all the fashion of that plain and city, of its walls and their height and thickness, and the valour of its gates; of the host of men at arms who now obeyed Turgon he spake, and the countless hoard of weapons gathered for their equipment, of the engines of war and the venomous fires.}

§ 38 {Then the Orcs were wroth, and having heard these matters were yet for slaying him there and then as one who impudently enlarged the power of his miserable folk to the mockery of the great might and puissance of Morgoth; but Maeglin catching at a straw said: "}Think ye not that ye would rather pleasure your master if ye bore to his feet so noble a captive, that he might hear my tidings of himself and judge of their verity?"

§ 39 Now this seemed good to the {Orcs}[spies], and they returned from the mountains about Gondolin to the Hills of Iron and the dark halls of Morgoth; thither they haled Maeglin with them, and now was he in a sore dread. But when he knelt before the black throne of Morgoth in terror of the grimness of the shapes about him, of the wolves that sat beneath that chair and of the adders that twined about its legs, Morgoth bade him speak. Then [he] told {he} {those tidings, and Morgoth hearkening spake very fair to him, that the insolence of his heart in great measure returned} unto Morgoth the place of Gondolin FG-M-06.
[Morgoth {must answer} [answered] laughing, saying: 'Stale news will buy nothing. I know this already, I am not so easily blinded!' So Maeglin was obliged to offer more − the ways whereby it might be found and assailed and to himself undermine resistance in Gondolin.] FG-M-07.

§ 40 [Great indeed was the joy of Morgoth][, and he spake very fair to him, that the insolence of his heart in great measure returned. And Maeglin told {them }of all the fashion of that plain and city, of its walls and their height and thickness, and the valour of its gates; of the host of men at arms who now obeyed Turgon he spake, and the countless hoard of weapons gathered for their equipment, of the engines of war and the venomous fires.] Now the end of this was that Morgoth aided by the cunning of Maeglin devised a plan for the overthrow of Gondolin. For this Maeglin's reward was to be {a great captaincy among the Orcs} [the lordship of Gondolin, as his vassal, when that city should be taken] -- yet Morgoth purposed not in his heart to fulfil such a promise – {but} [and] {Tuor and Eärendil should Morgoth burn} [Maeglin was to] compass the death of Tuor and Eärendil if he could. If he did, {and} Idril [would] be given to Maeglin's arms -- and such promises was that evil one fain to redeem. [Lust for Idril and hatred of Tuor led Maeglin the easier to this foul treachery.] FG-M-08 Yet as meed of treachery did Morgoth threaten Maeglin with the torment of the Balrogs. Now these were demons with whips of flame and claws of steel by whom he tormented those of the Noldor who durst withstand him in anything -- and the Eldar have called them Valaraukar. But the rede that Maeglin gave to Morgoth was that not all the host of the Orcs nor the Balrogs in their fierceness might by assault or siege hope ever to overthrow the walls and gates of Gondolin even if they availed to win unto the plain without. Therefore he counselled Morgoth to devise out of his sorceries a succour for his warriors in their endeavour. From the greatness of his wealth of metals and his powers of fire he bid him make beasts like snakes and dragons of irresistible might that should overcreep the Encircling Hills and lap that plain and its fair city in flame and death.
I think that would work better, even if it is more risky. But I don't think it is too risky since I didn't change the story-line even when I moved part of the text. I removed the knowledge of the spies that Maeglin was a elf of Gondolin. Since I think any spy would bring any Gondolindrim to Morgoth for inspection and investigation. So in my version it was the knowledge of his ancestry that rescued Maeglin with the spies.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote