View Single Post
Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 PM   #40
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I admit I did notice this thread before now but never really felt up to posting. But after an hour of singing and imagining I was playing my tin whistle, as it was not immediately available, I think I could participate a bit.

I taught myself a few tunes from the FotR soundtrack and can play them fairly well on the tin whistle, and I'm mastering the Rohan theme from tTT currently. Every so often I'll play around a bit and make up some tunes, though I've never bothered to write them down, nor placed them to any particular scene in LotR. I've often considered picking up one of the books, opening it to a random spot and creating a nice, fitting tune for the scene, but have never got around to it.

About a year back I spent a little time writing LotR songs and putting them to old Irish tunes, or giving Tolkien's own poems/songs tunes, though I'd never thought of them as anything other than the tunes you'll hear on the BBC radio version. I also very much enjoyed adapting various Irish ballads so they would seem as Middle-Earth ballads.

Your idea, Helen, of putting together a band would be rather amusing... if not absolutely wonderful. Such a pity that many miles and high waves are between all the BD musicians! The Barrow-Downers, or perhaps the Wights, would be fine names for such a band! Singing and playing genuine Middle-Earth songs and tunes. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And, as a closing note, I am quite pleased to meet all my fellow musicians, though some of you I do already know.