View Single Post
Old 06-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Elven Servants, or does Galadriel do her own ironing?

I find it very odd to think of Elves doing housework, but someone had to do it. Did they employ humans? It wouldn't seem to make sense. Especially without money, but that's another question that gives me a headache thinking about it.

In the Hobbit Thranduil had Elves to roll his empty barrels around, and Galadriel and her ladies certainly sewed/wove or however they made the cloaks. But what about cooking, scrubbing floors and washing clothes? I can't imagine Elves with chapped hands or flour on their noses!

Are there classes in Elvish society the way there are in Hobbit or human? If so, how is it organised- according to wealth? Are the servants the Elves with the fewest jewels? Or do they take turns? Or, I don't know, are certain Elves born with the desire to do housework? Are there any clues, this question has been really annoying me!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote