View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002, 05:40 PM   #63
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
. It's just a matter of putting your child in front of the right program. (For me Enlisch languaged cartoons worked, with subtitles ofcaurse but you pick up a lot from it.
Well, you had the right programs. Most of youth TV-watching here involves little New York kids being plopped down in front of "Teletubbies" where the most intelligent thing they say is, "EH-OOOOOOOOH!" when something bad happens. There is not too much good children's programming here. It all has poor grammar, and teaches the children bad grammar. I remember when I was eight, I used to have fights with my old best friend because she insisted that "bestest" was a word because she heard it on "Rugrats", whereas I never watched the show, and thought, from the commercials I saw, that it was an awful waste of airspace (no offense to you who like it).

And yes, I thought it was a waste: I was that kind of child (and still am that kind of teenager). My mom tells me all these things I said when I was little, and I realize: I was quite a cynical little child. Now, my friends say things along the lines of, "How can you believe in so much magic in the world and be so cynical?" (direct quote from my friend Erin), so I guess...I don't know what that says about me. I am happy, I really am...I guess...I'm bored, but happy...

Well, enough personal life...