View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 04:26 AM   #24
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Quote:
Why did the Barrow-Wight create the Middle-earth Mayhem section?
I wouldn't presume to guess. I quite like it there, though. If the humour can leave something to be desired it's up to those of us who like to leaven their whimsy with literacy to do something about it. So long as it remains Tolkien-related, the place can chug along happily without troubling me.

Quote:
The Middle-earth Mayhem section is simply mad.
Now you're beginning to see it my way.

Quote:
Of course, the makers of threads are very easy to identify, and correct spelling does not constitute "good writing habits," but there's no point in getting into a discussion of literacy here.
You've raised a couple of important points, Belin: firstly, since not everyone reveals their earthly location, it isn't always easy to tell when someone's not a native speaker of English, in which case a certain lack of polish is understandable. Secondly, it's impossible to differentiate between laziness and the effects of dyslexia, sufferers from which can do without our ridicule; and finally, yes it is obvious to whom we refer, so undue scorn should be avoided to avoid descending to the level of personal abuse.

I do think, however, that it's worth pointing out the more egregious insults to the language that are perpetrated on this forum, which prides itself on its literacy. I admit that I derive a certain amount of amusement from it, but it's also by way of a protest against the hideous mess of abbreviations, phonetic spellings and confused grammar, which if allowed to go unchallenged will sweep across this board, removing all trace of elegance from its threads. Whilst recognising that certain members are at something of a disadvantage in an English milieu (not least regular watchers of MTV), I think that we ought to continue to lampoon and decry laziness and illiteracy wherever appropriate.