View Single Post
Old 06-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #518
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Welcome, Durelin! Glad you could join us!

Hilde, thanks so much for the firewood. It'll drive out some of this damp! I hope I catch you soon. Company sounds like a very nice idea.

Sam sneezed, I think, more than once. And Bilbo definitely sneezed. I wonder what a dwarf sneeze sounds like?

Esty, the five senses idea is great-- very Frodo-like. I can see him thinking about that! Here's m'list:

Touch: getting my feet wet when the water is deeper than my sandals are high... like today! I should have just taken my socks off and slogged through knee-deep. Next time I think I will.
Smell: The forest floor; pine needles carpeting the path; oak leaves, likewise; the smell of ponds, and little streams. Wild bloomers now: Honeysuckle, Russian Olive.
Taste: Oh, but Esty, you can taste the air when you inhale through your mouth-- try it! Near fresh water, the air tastes fresher, moister, and its easier to breathe, too. Up high, it's dryer and has a different taste. (I generally don't taste the air in swamps.)
Sound: The rushing or trickling streams; the wind in the trees or squirrels or birds making the branches rustle; the squeak of mice and other critters; birdsong.
Sight: The furthest treetops I can see; shapely or majestic trees I pass (especially pines and beeches; I think Tolkien would agree); stone walls; deer trails; and I stop and enjoy the water whenever I find it.

This morning, we startled a german shepherd, who barked, in turn startling a fine doe, who ran within forty feet of us. (Somehow, she was much prettier and lovelier than the herd of deer Chonea chased out of my garden this morning! Rotten scavengers!)

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]