View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Arwen Baggins' post - Alvinac and Kari

Alvinac sat quietly in the mill, with his eleven-year-old daughter Kari focusing on pouring lumpy flour beside him. The room was quiet, and the only disturbance was a small mouse scampering in and out of the barrels of flour.

Kari, looking around to make sure her father wasn't watching, reached down beside the barrel she was sitting on and pulled up a book. Alvinac often asked her how a hobbit could write a book when most hobbit's couldn't read, but Kari always had an answer. "I borrowed it from Miss Woolthistle. She said that Mistress Camelia Goodchild Zaragamba wrote it. She was a real smart hobbit." Her father told her that she would never come in contact with a hobbit and she didn't need to know how to act around one, but she read the book anyway.
Not even looking up from his work, Alvinac sternly uttered, "Karianne Alexia, put the book down." Kari rolled her eyes and leaned down again to drop the book.

She was stopped when they heard shouts from the streets. The girl perked up and ran toward the door. "Papa! Let's go! A Ranger's out there, and there might be some fights!" Without waiting an answer, Kari bolted down the stairs toward the Prancing Pony.

Alvinac met his daughter on the steps of the Pony, his fists raised. "Papa... the note says that we're gonna be having a meetin' with Hobbits!" She tried to sound angry, but her joy could be heard and seen.

Her father lowered his fist with a jerk, and leaned in to make sure his inquisitive daughter was telling the truth. Seeing that the note did state that, he clenched his teeth and grabbed Kari's arm. "At this meeting..."

Kari smiled. 'He's going!' She thought to herself. Alvinac must have seen it in her eyes, because he quickly retorted, "If we go..." Then he paused. "You will arouse no interest of these Hobbits. You understand?"
Her copper-colored curls lowered at first, but then she nodded and looked hopefully up at him.

Her father rubbed her head and sighed, "Go get your book. I'll teach you some new foot techniques." Kari's grin widened, and she ran off down the crowded lane to the mill.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]