View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 11:10 AM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Eruantalon's post - Rudgar

"Shhhhhh be quiet," Rudgar baited his two friends.

"We are being quiet!" they replied in an angry whisper.

The chicken house was twenty yards away. It was late and the farmer was sleeping, hopefully vary hard. The three companions moved quietly together. "Now you too stay here and watch out for me. Alright?" The two shook their heads in agreement.

All three hunched over trying to hide in plain sight. Rudgar moved without a sound and then entered the little house. There were plenty of fat chickens there. Lots of good eggs. He would have dinner and breakfast in one shot.

Let's see, there you go into the bag. Yes, you too, and you, and you. I'll fill this bag up tonight and come back with another tomorrow if all goes well, he thought to himself.

Now to get out of here safely. He opened the door quietly and saw the face of the farmer there in front of him. "Hello there, sir, and good night to you." Clunk went the flat of the sword on the farmer's head.

It seemed the farmer had slipped past his friends from behind. The man was going in to get a snack of eggs it seemed, since he had a sack with him and a frying pan. Yet,those two idiots with me never even saw him. What were they doing and why had they let him get by?

Rudgar grinned. No eggs for you, Mister Farmer. Just a good solid whack on the head. Good thing I'm a quick clunker. No one ever gets the drop on me.

He chuckled to himself as he walked out. His friends seemed shocked to see him as he turned on them angrily, "That old coot walked right past you. Your eyes must be going bad." He looked at them in disbelief.

When his village had been attacked, Rudgar had gone off on his own and kept away from the main party of the refugees. He had just lent his services to some locals from Bree that had lost their home. He'd met them on the road. Now they almost got him hurt. They would be going hungry if it wasn't for him. Of course, he took most of the chickens and eggs for himself, but that was beside the point. He was hired by these people to get them something to eat.

"You were too scared to take on an old farmer now, weren't you?" He yelled at them.
"You hid behind the chicken house while he came out. You saw the frying pan and got scared, didn't you?"

I've got to get into the company of better thieves, he thought. Maybe I will join up with the party of scouts who are camped out not too far from Bree. I can't go around like this with farmers for the rest of my life. I will join up with my own people again. It's just too hard to do things this way.

He walked them back to the deserted shack where they now lived, smiling all the way. "What's got you in such a good mood? What you smilin' about, eh?" they questioned.

"Just the chance of better things with better thieves that I know of around here." Then he walked off into the night, heading for the scout's camp. He wanted a chance at big-time loot and maybe they could get it by working together.

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]