View Single Post
Old 10-10-2003, 06:02 PM   #39
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

‘Well, then, my brave girl, I will leave these two Hobbits in your hands.’

Berilac winked at Lily, who laughed in delight. She was feeling a bit puffed up thinking about how she had been left to ‘take care’ of Poppy and Mungo.

The Hobbit Ranger stood and shook hands with Gaffer Goldworthy. ‘Pleased to meet you, sir,’ he said. ‘I hope you will offer your assistance as we get the town ready to defend against the ruffians on its outskirts.’ Berilac turned to Poppy. ‘Your words . . . about my family wanting me to come back. They’re true enough. Though my family lives many days walk east of here, still I would return shortly to them if I could.’ He smiled at her and gently tousled Lily’s hair. ‘I have a little girl, but not as old as you,’ he said looking down at the child.’ A thoughtful expression passed over his eyes. ‘I wonder, ‘ he said to Poppy and Lily, ‘I’m taking some of the children tomorrow to look at the hedge with me. They can show me all the little holes where it’s easy to crawl through, all the broken places in it. Do you think Lily might be able to come?’

Poppy looked perplexed, not wanting to answer the question right away. ‘I’ll come by tomorrow,’ Berilac said, ‘and you can tell me then.’

Berilac excused himself and went to thank Hedgar for putting up the torches. Hedgar was just on his way back to his own family. ‘You didn’t get a chance to tell me what you thought of all this,’ Berilac remarked, falling in beside him as he walked along. Hedgar filled him in on his thoughts, falling silent as they approached his wife and son. The Ranger’s eyes narrowed – the wife did not think the same way he gathered, and she seemed to have the last word in the family.

And well she should! he could just hear his sisters and even his dear wife saying gently to him.

He was chuckling as they reached Hedgar’s family and he was introduced to them. He made the same offer to Fippi’s parents about accompanying him tomorrow, saying once again that he would come in the morning and see if Fippi could come with him. ‘I know you’ll want to talk it over,’ he said to all three of them as he took his leave.

Novnarwen's post - Hedgar

Hedgar headed towards the back of the crowd again, finally finish putting up the last torches. Actually to his own surprise, he was glad he had helped. It was such liberation for Hedgar the feeling of being of use, or in other words just; the feeling of being a little bit important was fantastic. He almost shook of happiness, but pulled himself together, reminding himself why he was here. Hobbits and Breelanders together? Hedgar thought in disgust.

"Ah, Hedgar." It was a familiar voice which rang in Hedgar's ears. He turned to greet Berliac, another hobbit.

"I see you've put the torches up," Berliac said happily. The other male hobbit nodded, pointing at the torches around in the square.

The two of them started walking. Berliac asked Hedgar yet again, how Hedgar felt about the whole idea of the Hobbits and the Breelanders working together. This time, Hedgar got to explain himself. He told his new friend about his suspiciousness and how he felt about these big footed people.

In his eager one sided conversation, Hedgar, unfortunately didn't notice the fact that the two male hobbits had moved towards the direction where Hedgar's wife and son stood. He would have stopped his argumentations earlier if he had seen his wife's horrified look given to him. Rosie gave a sigh, getting the men's attention. Hedgar who had finally stopped talking, grew ashamed. Berliac too, noticed this.

An embarrassing silence fell on them. Hedgar tried to find a topic, his head exploding with thoughts. After a few seconds he felt desperate. He could see Rosie's disappointment; her husband had gossiped about the Big Folk to a so called stranger (It didn't matter if it was a hobbit or not). This was something that Rosie felt was below her family's standards, Hedgar knew that.

The silent broke as Berliac came with quite an interesting offer, something Hedgar and Rosie knew they had to talk over first, before they could decide.

Pio's post

Berilac inched his way back to the front of the crowd. There had been a hubbub as Minastan finished the first part of his talk and he could see the Big Folk mayor trying to calm the rising tide of loud voices and heated argument. It looked as if the mayor, Harald he reminded himself, was having the upper hand and was going to ask Minastan to speak further . . .

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]