View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #141
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth responds to Berilac:

Andreth shook her head, "That's exactly the kind of thing I thought might be helpful. Edmund will have to work hard, but he'll also learn something about cooperating with the other children who'll be helping."

Andreth turned and glanced nervously over at her son, who was still standing in the corner of the classroom staring down stubornly at his muddy boots. "But I must tell you, Edmund and I had a talk this morning. He knows that he has a choice. I told him he could help out Cook in the kitchen, sweeping the floors and peeling vegetables for the next few weeks, or he could assist you on whatever project you thought best. He needs to make up his mind and let you know."

For a moment, she pulled closer to the hobbit and spoke in a tone that was barely above a whisper. "Edmund always had his own way of doing things. But, since his father's death, he's gotten harder and harder to manage. Sometimes I feel as if we're going in circles."

Andreth stepped back, then walked towards Edmund and crouched down, so that she was on the same level as her son and could see eye-to-eye. She reached out and gently tousled a few curls that had slipped down over his eyes. "So, Edmund. You must decide. Do you want to help out Cook in the kitchens, or do you prefer to go with Master Berilac and help him repair the city's defenses? Either way, it will be hard work. Please tell us what you've decided to do."

Edmund stared down resolutely at the floor and fidgeted, wishing that he could slip away from his mother and the Inn and leave everything behind him. His initial reaction was one of mistrust. Part of him wanted to tease and poke fun at Berilac the way he'd done to Kali and some of the other hobbits in the class. But Berilac was grown up. And even worse than that, the hobbit had a certain look about him that warned Edmund no nonsense of that type would be tolerated.

For one instant, Edmund weighed the option of whether to trudge down to the kitchen and take his punishment from Cook. But then he remembered what had happened to him last time when Cook had made his life miserable. At least if he was with Berilac, he'd be outside where there were animals and plants to look at, and not shut up within a dull, dingy kitchen where his only companions would be a stack of dirty dishes.

Who knows....perhaps I'll get lucky. Perhaps, I can run into the woods when Berilac isn't looking and find some more squirrels or even a coney or two, who need help and can be my friends.

Out loud, he only lifted up his eyes and murmurred in a sullen voice, "Those are my choices? Then, I'll go fix hedges. At least that's important work for a Man. I won't be stuck with a bunch of silly serving girls." He made sure to say the word 'Man' loud and clear and stare Berilac straight in the face so the hobbit would know exactly how he felt about working with the Little Folk.

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]