View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #256
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Guthwine:

Riding as hard as they could, Guthwine and his two companions arrived on the outskirts of Bree within a few hours. Most of the residents were asleep in their beds, the streets silent and empty. Guthwine slipped through the hole in the hedge with his son cradled in his arms. They had all agreed that Soran and Rudgar were to hide in the thick bushes at the edge of town, waiting to see what would happen. All three of the men were armed, carrying swords and daggers.

Once they had cleared the hedge and dyke, Guthwine glanced over at the others, "I'm going to the Inn. It seems like the best place to start. One of the women visiting the camp came from there."

"Leave your sword and dagger with us," Soran urged. "You'll have better luck getting them to listen."

Guthwine's eyes blazed with anger, "I'll not go in unarmed. I do not trust these Breelanders. The only thing they understand is the point of a sword. After my boy recovers, they can do with me as they please." Then Guthwine turned and headed for the Pony.

The Common Room of the Inn had been totally cleared of tables, with cots and pallets set up in their place. Lilac was in charge of the small house of healing. Kirima, Andreth, Cook, and Letty, along with some of Letty's brood, had divided up the nursing and cooking chores under Lilac's watchful eye, preparing the herbal remedies that the healer suggested and making nourishing meals.

Gradually, the room had quieted down. Lilac had gone off to the side and laid down to sleep. Some of the children were also drowsing, while others lay awake, still too worked up or in pain. Andreth had gotten out one of her books and was reading a tale about dragons and dwarves to take their minds off their troubles.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, there was a pounding on the door. She could hear someone yelling outside, demanding that she immediately open up. Peering out the window, she glimpsed a tall and surly man who looked to be one of the bandits, with a massive sword strapped about his waist. This angry giant carried a child in his arms. The boy's head was drooping, his limbs hanging limp and his eyes glazed over.

For a moment she hesitated wondering what to do. He did not look like someone she wanted inside the Inn. Then she heard the child softly moan. Andreth quickly reached a decision and wrenched open the door to let the pair enter.

Guthwine strode to the middle of the floor as if he owned the Inn. He approached Kirima and placed the boy securely in her arms, "Here, can you help him? An arrowhead this morning and now the wound is festering." Kirima greeted Guthwine by name and nodded her head, placing the boy onto a pallet. then awakening Lilac so they could work together. Kirima stayed on beside the boy, speaking quietly to him. All the time her hands were working, cleaning the wound and administering herbal packs. Lilac raced back and forth to the kitchens, bringing hot water and anything else that Kirima requested.

Guthwine watched these developments with dawning hope, then turned and perched his body on top of the serving counter, drawing out his sword and making a point of polishing it with a rag he found beneath the bar. It was at this point that Andreth approached him, speaking in a voice that was both gentle and firm, "Please, sir, you're frightening my staff and some of the children. Could you set aside that sword out in the hall?"

"I don't think so. I feel more comfortable with it. And if I put it down, who says what you will do with my boy?" He glared over at the Innkeeper and continued to polish the blade.

"I really would put that down," she countered.

"I don't think so. Not till my son is out of danger..."

Andreth started to open her mouth but a quick look from Lilac made her stop and think. She looked up and sighed, "Suit yourself then. Have you eaten? I can at least get you a cup of broth."

"Don't bother."

Andreth nodded, then continued to make her rounds of the room, finally sitting down to resume her story. The children, who looked more frightened than before even though Guthwine was one of their own, had huddled together near the fire. Andreth knelt down to stir the ashes in the firepit and quickly drew out a piece of burnt wood that had fallen to the side. She turned to her book, ripped out a page, and scribbled a simple note in the margin with the blackened chunk of wood: Send help - Guthwine.

Then she walked over to Lilac and stuffed the note in her apron pocket saying a single word: Berilac. Lilac wandered back to the kitchen ostensibly for more hot water and clean cloths. Once she was there, the older woman took off down the hallway to the small room where Ruby slept. She woke the serving girl and placed the note in her hand, "Take this to Berilac or the Mayor. Fast. We've an armed bandit in the Inn."

Ruby dived out the side window heading down the street to Mausi's burrow where Berilac was said to be staying the night.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:52 AM February 08, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]