View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #259
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Minastan speaks with Lotar

The man had watched as the women and children filed in through the gate. ‘This is good,’ he murmured to himself, bending over to pick up the knife and sword Berilac had made him throw on the ground before they spoke. ‘His journey with the ragged group had shown him just how needy and ill the refugees were. Refugees. He rolled that word round on his tongue. A few short weeks ago and he had them all penned as ruffians, bandits, and cut-throats. Too easy to see only the negative and react to it he thought when the enemy is faceless.

He had made his observations and his thoughts clear to Berilac. The other Ranger had not seen what he had, and Minastan wanted to make sure he understood the full depth of the refugees’ problems. Berilac had been careful to listen closely, noting that even though his assessments were painted a picture of need, there was still a hint of threat in the large group. Minastan had been careful to separate the plans of Guthwine from the course that he felt Lotar wanted to take. In the end, Berilac had directed him to approach Lotar with an offer for a parlay on what could be done on both sides to avoid armed conflict.

‘We are prepared to kill them – to the last man, if need be,’ the Hobbit had said. ‘We have the force of arms and the supplies to do so. And if need be I will send out messengers to the East where other of the Rangers are. They will harry the would-be conquerors like silent wolves set on a flock of grouse.’ Minastan nodded his head in silent agreement, then spoke quietly. ‘And now you also hold hostages. Lotar will understand that. He will not want to endanger them nor will the fathers and husbands of the children and women who are now locked tight in Bree.’ Berilac had waved him off, then, as if shooing a stray dog away, while he, himself, followed the women back into Bree.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was very late at night when Minastan made it back to the camp. Just as he thought, no one was sleeping. All had been on edge since the group had left – wondering what further danger they had sent their precious families into.

A guard at the perimeter stopped him, then waved him through once he had identified himself. Picking up speed he headed directly to Lotar’s tent and found the man sitting at a small fire, now burnt down to embers, his cloak pulled around him as he stared into the glowing coals. ‘Are they safe,’ Lotar asked, his eyes turning to the figure of the advancing man. ‘They are,’ said Minastan, seating himself next to the man, talking low so that others would not hear. He paused for a moment, then delivered the other half of the answer. ‘But they will not come out until we have a resolve of this threat to Bree.’

Minastan hurried on, before Lotar could speak again. ‘The Bree leaders and the Ranger who assists them seem to be fair men. The men they lead are farmers and millers and merchants. We have pushed them too far. And now they are angry and threatened by our presence. They have retreated into the safety of their city, and like a cornered badger they will fight us tooth and nail if we attack.’

He paused for a moment to let his words sink in. ‘I spoke with the Ranger who came out to take the women and children in. I told him about you and about the things I have heard you say; how your thoughts are echoed by the majority of the men you lead. He asked if you and perhaps one other would come to the North Gate in two days time. He and the mayor will meet with you on the field beyond the dike and talk about what can be done together to solve both our problems. I am to bring back a message to let them know if and when you will come. What say you to this?’

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:03 AM February 09, 2004: Message edited by: piosenniel ]