View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #32
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

After being complemented on his improvised song, Nali though, "If they liked that, let's see how they'll like this!". And when there was a moment when the dwarves stopped roaring (which only came around a little) Nali started singing:

In Dwarrowdelf, a city old,
there is riches beyond jewels or gold,
No diamonds of light or silver there are,
but riches beyond the seas and afar,
riches so great they cannot be made
and no dwarf in middle earth can be paid,
to give but a shard of their powerful gift,
a site that would give even elves a lift!
Mithril they call it though not many have seen,
a metal so fair, sturdy and keen,
hidden in the walls of a dark, old place,
yet stronger than mightest of Sauron's mace,
We'll find it, we will, though facing perils,
like old Bilbo and the dwarves who hid in barrels,
From Khazad-dum to Zirag-zil,
we will be the lords of Moria's mithril.

All the dwarves stood silent. No one moved. It was as if time had frozen still and yet he still breathed. Suddenly, from none other than King Dain, a slow clapping sound echoed through the halls. Suddenly, all the dwarves started to clap. It was if they were transported to an erupting volcanoe. Nali blushed as one by one the dwarves patted him on his back.

It took about a minute before the clapping died down, but eventually the dwarves started talking among themselves again. It seamed that his song had set a standard that none of the dwarves could master. Balin approached Nali and said with a suprized tone, "where did you learn to do that?" Nali's face grew more red than the fires of Orodruin. "I've been idle for a while and taught myself things like it." Nali said

"There's more?" Balin said, his face growing pale. "Well, I can cook, and come to think of it, I'm not bad with armour and weapons. Ever since I was little, my parents always incouraged me learning things, so I spent years at a time learning from masters of their trade. Although i'll never amount to be as good as them, i've seamed to merge some of my crafts together, giving my work an original flare." Nali spoke.

Once again, Balin stood still. After taking a short breath he said, "Well, this will be an interesting quest!" And with that, he walked off to mingle with the other dwarves.

Nali liked being the center of attention, and if he wanted that again, he'd have to do something truly splendid. Muttering under his breath, Nali said, "I'll have to find something to top that...now let me see..."
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'