View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #181
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cami- here is a post I have written up for Kirima, requesting to go along to Bree. Please tell me if anything needs changing!

ARESTEVANA - I PLACED YOUR POST. NICELY DONE! ~*~ PIO

~~

Arestevana's post

Kirima was crouched by the fire, tending a sick child. The child's mother fretted helplessly as the small boy shook with a racking cough. Kirima felt nearly as helpless, for there was little she could do, even with her skills in healing. Any plants in the near woods with healing virtues had been pulled in the past weeks. Food and water were scarce, and the cold was always present, stealing life from the injured and ill.

Kirima stood up and smiled encouragingly at the child's mother. 'There's not much else I can do,' she said quietly. 'But don't lose hope. He's a strong lad, and we'll have new supplies soon enough.' She turned and left, her smile fading quickly.

Away from the fire, Kirima slumped against a tree. 'That boy will up and playing again before the spring,' she told herself fiercely. No, said a voice in her head. By springtime he will be with your children. You and his mother will weep, but you won’t bring them back. Kirima straightened. There was nothing she could have done to help Pepin and Brier, but she could try to save the other children here.

She glanced around the camp, and to her surprise saw Kandel near his father’s tent, talking to two women she did not recognize. With a second shock she noticed their clean, neat clothes and healthy color, and realized that they must have come from Bree. She watched curiously as first Kandel, and then the strangers, entered the tent.

When Lotar emerged a moment later and hurried over to speak with Guthwine, Kirima walked over and ducked inside. After the moment it took for her eyes to adjust to the dimness, she saw Kandel and Minastan talking to the women from Bree. Minastan looked up and, in response to her questioning glance, told her that the Breelanders were going to take some of the sickest children and their mothers to the town where they could be tended.

Kirima stared at Minastan for a moment in surprise. Then she turned to the strangers. “My name is Kirima,” she told them. “I wish to go with you when you return to Bree. I am not wounded or ill, but I have some small skill in healing. There is little I can do here, but perhaps I could be of some help in the town. May I accompany you?” She watched hopefully as the two turned to converse quietly. Then for a moment her mind wandered, and she remembered the sick boy she had been tending just a while ago. She turned her attention back to the Breelanders, and hoped desperately that they could be trusted.

~~~

Edit: Thanks Pio!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:00 PM January 29, 2004: Message edited by: Arestevana ]