View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 12:35 AM   #31
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

The coming of Carathir was somewhat calming after the new burst of suspicion which she had gotten in the mentioning of Rohan’s army from Crystal and the Gondorian men. Maén had often heard of her Aunt Lysia speaking of the young man of whom she had taken in and spared from death by the King.

Just like Lysiashe smiled to herself and stood to greet him, (one of the few opportunities that she had had to do so this day). Carathir was always polite to her, though they had never privately spoken and whether he was or not, Maén thought him to be shy. But Lysia trusted him so far and that was more than good enough for her niece.

Maén took the letter from him, rather sharply than she usually would have liked on such an occasion, and opened it, taking no care with the envelope. To her eyes then came the familiar flowing script which she knew had come from Lysia’s cultured hand.

Dearest Il Galoth daughter,
My Maén, Enclosed I have written terms and conditions by which your companions choose to come, they are for your safety and I will expect you to abide by them as well. I have these words to you, let them lead you to him, use all your cunning wit, but under no circumstances are any of your companions to take his blod. This service I bestow upon you, in revenge for your kin, your uncle and your father. Keep this feud within our once noble family.

Maén then noticed Carathir had lay another package upon the table.

I send with thee, my own token of treasure. It was mine and now is yours, bring honour to us once more.

Your Aunt, Lysia.

Maén opened the package, a dagger was wrapped in brown cloth. It was beautiful, and it’s leather sheath had the aroma of the ages. She was pondering over this when she was surprised by another man whispering at her.

"If you have need of someone to help you, and in return for twenty thousand gold pieces, I will do whatever you ask of me." He said.

Maén did not know what to think, her mind still attached to the note.

"So sorry, forgot to introduce myself," he said looking at her strangely, "Roryn, former ranger of Gondor at your service."

So there was another one, she mused this in her mind for some small amount of time, then forgetting that it was quite discourteous not to acknowledge a speaker she introduced herself. “I am Maén Il Galoth. Please, take a seat. I would like to speak to you all.” Then noticing Crystal had her sword half sheathed she spoke rashly, “Peace! There will be plenty of time for taking blood Miss Heart, Sirs, once again I ask you to please sit.”
Maén now pulled out almost every skerrick of information which she had bothered to bring with her. Her father’s letters, Lysia’s research as well as her letters from the king. She placed her cloak upon the table and stood as if getting ready for some mammoth operation.

“Firstly.” She began taking a deep breath. “I will thank you all for expressing your interest in my little venture. As you all know The Widow Il Galoth has posted a reward of twenty thousand pieces of gold to each of those who accompany me to find the Traitor of my family.” It was here that she gave a lengthy account of Guriel’s history and the treachery of Gondor. “Not only is he a kin slayer, and a traitor to my family, but he was a Gondorian, as are most of you. That makes him a traitor to you as well.” She paused letting this statement sink into the minds of those around her. “ Im not saying whether this journey will end with all of you coming back alive.”

“And what if we don’t?” asked Ferethor from his seat. Maén shot him a piercing glance.

“ Aye, I am coming to that. If you should die, twenty-five thousands will be paid to your family. If I die, you get only half of that. These are the conditions of Lysia Il Galoth. Take them or leave them.”

For a while there was stunned silence throughout the company, and gradually each gave their approval.

“I suggest now that you all get to know one-another, for my part, I will introduce Carathir, he is my aunt’s young squire and he is chosen by her to accompany me. Yes, he is and Easterling, but I hope that none of you will hold it against him, anyone who does will answer to me. My other companion here is Atharen, a ranger who has kindly offered to assist me. As for myself, you all know who I am, and I will tell you this, just because I am a woman, does not mean I cant kill you in the night. Go now, I will give you time that you need to set your affairs in order and collect your things, meet me out the front in an hour we leave.” And there it was that the company formed.

~My lord, Éomer~