View Single Post
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 PM   #78
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
...the details that come from elaborating the world as a sociologist or civil engineer will probably kill the wonder.
Maybe I'm reading this all wrong, (in which case I wouldn't be surprised) but I don't think this statement is really valid. If you have ever read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a novel written in first person from the POV of a naturalist, you'll see what I mean. The thwarting of a civil engineer or sociologist's logic in Faerieland could, if written correctly, be quite interesting. The wonder of a situation lying outside of science (provided there is such a thing even in Faerieland) would likely be greater viewed through a pragmatic sociologist's eyes than through the eyes of a person that believes him/herself to be intrisically inclined to such "magic".

Quote:
...why didn't the economic center agitate for more rights?
Because so much of the economic center was tied up in slaves who had absolutely no say in the political center (they comprised something like 30% of the population at one point, though I don't think this number applies specifically Athens) even after they were freed.

[DISCLAIMER] Most of the above statement is based on the later Roman condition, so it may or may not apply in its entirety to Athens)

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote