View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #34
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

"Does that earn you preferencial treatment?"

Arthain mentally winced as Isildur spoke. He was more loyal than most to the cause and to his king, but by the Gods, he was arrogant!

"Nay, lord, it never has." Melost's reply was icy, but Arthain knew that he was burning inside. Noting this danger sign and the way the elf's back stiffened, his hand moving slightly closer to his sword, he stepped in between them, almost screening Melost, and hoping to screen completely his anger.

"My lord, I ask leave tp return with my squire to the camp of Gil-Galad with Melost. I was chosen to act as his guard, after all." He smiled at the king, putting a slight, but noticeable stress on 'his', showing that it was not the elf that was tagging along here. Isildur looked up from the letter which he was studying more closely for details now and nodded distractedly, dismissing them. Arthain bowed and left as quickly as he could without being rude, with Melost close behind him.

"The high king's kinsman, eh? Does that earn you preferential treatment?" Melost mimicked Isildur's words in a high voice, then dropped back to his own. "He was mocking me Arthain, I know it."

Arthain sighed, keeping his eyes on the road in front of them between his horses ears. "He was not mocking you, friend."

"He was mocking me Arthain. I will not be mocked, especially not be a-" The elf cut himself off sharply. He glanced quickly at Arthain, then looked away, back to the road. Arthain stared at him incredulously as the words he no doubt would have said lay between them like a naked sword. "Especially not be a Man."

"So, I will be glad to get back to Imladris, Arthain." Melost's voice was overly cheerful now, but he noted Arthains silence and now it was his turn to sigh. "Arthain, I did not mean it, you know I wouldnt have said it, and you certainly should know I wouldnt have meant it even if I had-"

"Said what? I wasnt aware you would say anything." Now Arthain's voice contained all the ice Melost's had in front of the human king. "Youre keen to get back to Imladris? Then lets go."

He immediately urged his horse into a fast trot, then a gallop, glad to feel the refreshing breeze on his face, blowing back his hair and his horse's mane, clearing such troublesome thoughts away partly. But not quite. He was confused; he knew Melost not to be like that, he had been his friend for so long, knew almost certainly that it had been his anger talking. But then, he didnt know many elves; would that be the nature of the reception he recieved at Imladris? But why should ancient disturbances and prejudices matter any more, especially when they were fighting on the same side? Why had it been those words that had risen to Melost's lips? With these confusing and disturbing thoughts, the group rode on to the camp, but even when they reached it, the hustle bustle and the comforting rush of the troops getting ready to move did nothing to soothe Arthains mind.