Thread: Swan Wood - RPG
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 04:06 PM   #13
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Annanoldowen left the camp when all had arrived. Introductions were important, and allowing her future companions to feel comfortable with her presence was just as well. Though, she needed to speak with Kemenheruwen, and collect the things she would need. The earth master and she walked back towards the abandoned apothecary and retreted down the cellar stairs. Kemenheruwen moved quickly and efficiently around the shop searching for herbs to give her friend. Annanoldowen, meanwhile, stood like a shadow in the doorway, thinking…

Calembel, once a prosperous city, is now abandoned. Bereft of any life save for that of Kemenheruwen who arrived just before the desertion. Were the ravagers of this town the same as those of the forest. She had asked her friend, but Kemenheruwen was away when the events had taken place. Annanoldowen believed it to be so. Swaying as if she was a very tall tree on the mountainside, the elf stood with her eyes closed, trying to recall anything that could be of some beginning use. Taralphiel, mistress of Swan Wood, the Alphirion Forest. The elf shook her head trying to squeeze more out of her more previously learned knowledge. She then decided to go over all the details, reciting all she knew of Taralphiel. She married a youth from Rohan, Eriador was his name, and followed him to the elven realm of Greenwood, Annanoldowen caught herself then, correcting, [/I]Mirkwood. She aided in Minas Tirith. Premonitions … [/I]. The elf’s head was pounding now, she shook it stubbornly, Yes, Taralphiel has great knowledge of histories. A match even for my own. It is only my age that benefits me, and the troubles of the world that dwells upon my soul continually—.

“Will you need Athelas?” asked Kemenheruwen, pulling Annanoldowen from her thoughts.

“Oooh, you silly kuruni! I was thinking, couldn’t you tell?” She looked at the crisp, green weed in the earth master’s hand and shrugged, “I’m sure the other elves have a good share, but of course we’ll need a generous amount.” She moved over to the desk and sat down heavily, massaging her head. “Did you ever meet Taralphiel or her granddaughter?” she asked after a while. Kemenheruwen shook her head.

“I do not believe so. I came here a year or so before the occupants of this city were forced out. Since then I have stayed here in this store, down in this cellar, collecting, labeling, and studying herbs and plants, pouring over ancient manuscripts, and studying magic—” Annanoldowen laughed,

“Magic?” Kemenheruwen brushed her away and placed a dozen bundles of Athelas into the Rivendell elf’s pack. “I must review my thoughts, Kemenheruwen. I do not suppose you could leave me alone for an hour.” The earth master laughed and moved towards the back of the cellar, searching for things.

Annanoldowen collected her dark grey robe around her and walked up the cellar steps, and out the back of the apothecary. The yard was a mess of mud from relentless rain over the past years, and broken sheds and fences, either rotted from time, or burnt in the raiding of the city. Stepping carefully over the remains of a stack of unused firewood, Annanoldwen left the yard of the apothecary and walked out into the street. The air was damp, and cool. A light evening breeze blew as the elf wandered through the streets of Calembel, away from the remainder of the company. Her appearance was not ancient, and she appeared to be no older than Laurel herself. It was her eyes that made people understand her history, and respect her level of experience. Focusing then on her thoughts she collected wisps of information about Laurel she had received while speaking with her for the little amount of time she was able. Daughter of Estilien and Havor, and granddaughter of Taralphiel and Eriador on her mother’s side and Havlor on her father’s side … Annanoldowen had only spoken with Taralphiel and Eriador. She had never met any of the woman’s descendents, and was honored to be given the privilege of aiding her granddaughter now after so many years. The elf had great respect for the girl. She may be young, but is wise beyond any of her age… Annanoldowen had not been able to read much through her eyes or the aura about her. Laurel was introverted, making her mind difficult to decipher.

The sun settled behind a low bank of clouds, setting alight the sky with brilliant hues of reds and oranges. The colors crept through tiny holes and crevices in the crumbling buildings, making it seem as if the town was aglow with fire. A brisk wind came from behind, and whipped around the aging trees, billowing the elf’s robes out before her like a thundercloud. Along with the wind came a voice … noble and unwavered, a quiet hum in the wind … Swan give me flight. Vali of goodness give me strength of my patron, give me the light to soar, and give my Lady grace and will to serve. Keep her safe, and guide me to her, and free my heart from the shadow, and let it bask in the light of the moon… The elegance of the words of old faded as the wind traveled over the abandoned village, brushing its rough hand along cracking roofs and inhabited chimneys. The voice who whispered the words into the fading evening was that of a maiden, saddened by times of death and defeat. Laurel. Sighing, the elf ventured back towards the apothecary. She knew of Taralphiel, she knew of Laurel, she knew of the downfall of Calembel and the raiders of Alphirion. Lingering thoughts flittered in her mind of methods of victory, and triumph over the intruders. None of them were whole, and all of them floated just out of reach. Time was not on their side, and that was the one thing that Annanoldowen needed most. She pushed the thought away and dwelt on other things. Her mind wandered to the faces of the warriors that had given their swords and oaths to aid Laurel.

All were either men or elves. Strong and dependable. What concerned her most were the female warriors. Female warriors were very rare, and Annanoldowen knew little of them. Were they as dependable as the male warriors? She hoped they were, and saw no reason why they wouldn’t be. A good third or so of this company consisted of them, and they all seemed battle-hardened and trustworthy. Faces and names were neatly organized in her mind as she recalled them all. It was a good assortment she supposed. There were many officials from both realms of men, along with a few wanderers. Why Elessar would send three different messengers for the same cause, Annanoldowen did not know. She also didn’t understand why a few solitary figures would risk their lives for the sanctity of Swan Wood. She wanted to talk with Laurel right away, but the voice on the wind had suggested that the woman was in so such position. Perhaps there is more to the faces that I could gather.

When she looked up again she was in front of the apothecary and Kemenheruwen was holding two bags. One was the leather sack containing Annanoldowen’s clothing and the other was a smaller one holding things from the earth master. Taurawaa was gone of course, only to arrive on Annanoldowen’s summoning.

“I will carry these for you to where the others are.” The Rivendell elf eyed her friend questioningly.

“But you don’t like people.” Kemenheruwen shrugged and led her friend back towards the company.

Behind them the last of the sun’s rays filtered through the town as it receded back behind the distant mountains. The moon appeared as a great pearl in the diamond-studded sky, and night pulled its velvet cape over the land. Annanoldowen joined the company just as the fires were being exstinguished, and weary eyes were being closed to welcome sleep.

Annanoldowen stood up against an old warehouse fairly close to where the others were, Kemenheruwen stood beside her.

“If anything goes wrong, you can come back and I will help you if I can,” offered the earth master. Annanoldowen nodded,

“Thank you.” Instead of leaving though, the young elf stayed awhile and talked in hushed tones to her older friend so as not to disturb anyone else. Sleep would not be necessary for Annanoldowen for some time now, and she would not risk missing a thing.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: maikafanawen ]