View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I don't know if you're aware of this, guys, but a whole lot of academic discourse has occured on the subject of how Tolkien completely excludes bodily functions from his work, though the Norse mythologies that he drew upon were filled with stuff that is apparently too "crass."

I had originally thought that the word "poop" and its connotations stopped being offensive in the 5th grade, but I was mistaken, and I shall flog myself appropriately for this vicious error.

Then again, I am curious to see if anybody has read beyond the afore-mentioned word in my post to see what I was getting at.

If you simply can't bring yourself to do it, I shall understand.

Ultimately it's not up to me to debate Tolkien's choices at a great length, because he was able to produce a satisfying work without including all the elements of the Norse myths (and for many he makes for much better reading than the said texts, myself included).

But to answer Knight's question: No I don't really have that problem per se, because it's an imaginary world after all, and I don't believe that Tolkien must have bothered to imagine it in every detail, so then, neither will I.