View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #214
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Castar sat on the cold ground, wiping the sweat off of his face with the wrinkled shirt he had hurriedly put on when he heard the shouts through the window of his room. When the calls of alarm at the fire began, he and Windheneb were in their room, asleep for what they thought would be the whole night. Castar had finally managed to pry his attractive young friend away from the women and they turned in about an hour before the fire started. When the cries started, Castar awoke first. He shook his friend, and the two ran down to help. They found most of the inhabitants of the Inn and many from the town already their, aiding in the disaster that befell the Inn. Castar sought Aylwen as soon as he could, checking on her well-being. Windheneb wandered, and could now be seen flirting with a young maiden from the town that he obviously knew.

Castar coughed a bit in reaction to the smoke that still plagued his lungs. He rose to his feet and looked around at the remains of the stable. At least Tinu was alive. That had been another thing that Castar checked when the fire subsided. The poor bay horse was a bit frightened, but he would survive.

The potter absently brushed some hair out of his face, only to find it more difficult, as the hair was plastered to his face with sweat. Castar sighed and longed for a bath to wash the dirt and sweat off of himself.

Windheneb approached Castar after he finished his consultation with his young female acquaintance. He smiled brightly as he stood with his friend.

“Why such a dour expression, my friend?” he asked, “We are safe. The fire is no longer a threat. And,” he added, nodding towards the poor horse, “You still have your traveling companion. That is more than many here can say.”

Castar nodded. “I suppose,” he said, “I should feel lucky. But I still feel sorry for those others that will have no means of returning home from the fair.”

“Ah, my noble chum, they will find aid in this town. We are generous when it comes to those in need. Speaking of aid,” Windheneb said, changing topic, “As I passed some of those that work in this good Inn, I heard them discuss the necessity of reconstructing the barn. I hoped you might have the ability to remain here and aid in the project. I intend to lend my own abilities to this undertaking.”

Castar looked at Windheneb. He truly wanted to stay a bit with the good Lady Aylwen. Windheneb was also a pleasant companion, even if he did have a more than healthy interest in the opposite sex. But his parents did expect him to head back home the following day. Castar explained this lamentable circumstance to Windheneb, who merely smiled.

“I knew you would say something along those lines. Hence why I had Bea fetch Zīra. And here she comes now!”

Castar was about to ask who Bea was, but thought better of it. It was most likely the pretty young lady Windheneb was chatting with a few minutes ago. A girl came around handing water to the men that had aided with the extinguishing of the fire. Castar took the mug and took a drink, looking in the direction Castar had looked in when he claimed to see his sister, Zīra coming with another girl that had to be another of Windheneb’s relatives by her appearance. In his haste to drink the water and his surprise at his rediscovery of the beauty of Windheneb’s family, Castar nearly choked on the water, spraying it at Windheneb a bit.

“Calm, friend! You act as though you did not meet Zīra already,” Windheneb said, laughing heartily.

“Who is the other girl?” Castar asked as they approached. His face, already a little red from a fire, was now redder still both from his choking and his embarrassment.

“Wait for them to come and maybe you shall find out,” Windheneb said, still chuckling. “And I think I will take this before you do any more harm.” He took the mug of water from Castar and drank the rest. He placed the mug on the ground and smiled at his approaching sisters.

“Zīra, you brought Kalia,” Windheneb said merrily. “That is well, for I do not believe that she met our good friend, Castar.”

“Luthur, we meet again, I see,” Zīra said, smiling at Castar, who, in his staring, nearly forgot that Luthur was, in fact, his given name. “I trust all is well? You did not lose anything in the fire, did you?”

“I – erm…no. Tinu is well. Tinu is my horse. He is over there. He is a bay,” Castar said, losing his tongue.

“I am familiar with horse colors, yes,” Zīra said, smiling. “This is Kalia, my cousin. Oh, and, Windheneb, Bea told me what you wanted me to do, hence why I brought Kalia. I believe she will be able to do what you ask. I, as you seem to have forgotten, do have mouths to feed at home.”

“It is just as well, Sister,” Windheneb said, smiling.

Kalia finally spoke. Her voice was merry, although still a bit naļve in its nature. “What do you need, Winny?” She ruffled his hair as she asked. Windheneb flinched both at the gesture and the comment.

Windheneb explained that Castar desired to stay in the town, but his parents expected him home. He wanted Kalia to take Tinu to Castar’s home to tell Battir and Phāryn of Castar’s decision to stay in the town for a time. Kalia nodded and smiled. Castar noted that she already had on a riding skirt, with slits in the front and back. She obviously already knew what Windheneb would ask her. Kalia agreed to make the trip to Eodrath, provided Castar gave her directions.

As Castar saddled Tinu, he told Kalia how to get to Eodrath. One basically just had to follow the road. Since she was riding without many supplies, it should take no more than two or three days to get there and back. Castar cautioned Kalia about robbers and potholes and the like. He began to tell her how to ride a horse when Kalia grabbed his hand. This touch stopped his talking immediately.

“I have ridden before,” she said, smiling, “In fact, it is far from my first time. I am perhaps the second best female rider in the family, second only to Zīra. I will get Tinu to your home and back safely. I promise that I will not get into trouble.”

Castar smiled and blushed as the girl let go of his hand and swung up onto the sixteen-hand bay as easily as if he were a pony. Castar watched as she galloped into the dark.

“Will she be safe?” Castar asked Windheneb as he rejoined his friend beside Zīra.

“There is no better person to undertake that chore,” Zīra said comfortingly, “Kalia knows how to take care of herself. She is more of a tomboy than she seems.”

“And she’s gone, you can put your tongue back in your mouth,” Windheneb teased. He flinched as Zīra smacked him on the back of the head for the comment.

Castar smiled at the two siblings. He scanned the crowd for Aylwen. She was speaking with some of the other villagers and seemed to be busying herself with tending to those that needed aid of any sort.

“M’Lady Aylwen,” Castar said as he crossed over to her. She looked at him and smiled briefly. “I just wanted to tell you that I will stay and aid in the rebuilding of the barn…as long as it takes. Windheneb sent his cousin to tell my parents.”

“That is good,” Aylwen said, “We can use all the help we can muster.”

“Windheneb will be helping too,” Castar said, helpfully. It was obvious that Aylwen was occupied, so Caster politely took his leave of her and returned to Windheneb and his sister. When Castar returned, Zīra took her leave and wished both men a good night.

Windheneb and Castar stood among the people, looking for a sign of what needed to be done in the hopes of assisting any that needed attention.

“I wonder if there will be anything done this evening,” Windheneb mused out loud. “I doubt it. They shall probably want a fresh start in the morning. There is no harm in waiting. I could not sleep if I desired, I do not believe.”

“Nor could I,” Castar admitted, watching Aylwen be useful, running errands and the like. She made him feel so useless. He wished he knew what he could do to be of service to the good people of the town. Well, he was going to aid with the rebuilding of the barn.

OOC: Welcome Elentari Greenleaf!