View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 12:06 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

“Some I know,” Estelyn answered, “and some I have suspected. These underground passageways have been known to me many years. When I was a young girl, but newly come to live in the city, I often fled from my tutors. Seeking a solitary hiding place, I came upon the outer entry to the tunnels. It lies outside the walls, well-hidden and known only to those of the royal house. Messengers wishing to enter or leave the city unseen use it, for it leads to the house of the king. Its ways branch out in many directions, yet most of them were made as a labyrinth, for confusion only, leading nowhere. I have memorized the right path, as have all those who belong to the House of Telcontar.

“Yet I have long suspected that some of the paths have been opened and can be entered from other places in the city. This house once belonged to a noble relative of ours. Who knows why he created this trap-door and to what purpose he may have used it?”

“What concerns me more,” interrupted Rimbaud, “is, who is using the passageways now? Where else do they lead?”

Estelyn bowed her hooded head slightly, staring at the stone floor with unseeing eyes, then lifting her steady gaze to her companion. A slight flicker that did not come from the faltering light of the lantern revealed a moment of indecision before she finally spoke again.

“The underground paths lead not only into the city, but also far away, under the Anduin, almost to Mordor itself. I have not travelled there, though I have seen maps and know which direction the way takes. These tokens trouble my thoughts; if the outmost entrance has been discovered by enemies, it forebodes ill for us. Who knows whether orcs may already be in hiding there. We must act swiftly and secretly to prevent a terrible tragedy.”

Rimbaud nodded decisively. “Indeed, I have thought the same. I would not have us go without some food and drink, though, for we may not be able to return as quickly as we like.”

A slight smile curved Estelyn’s lips and lent warmth to her gaze. “You think practically, as always, my friend. Would it not also be wise to inform one trustworthy person of your household of our intentions? I can leave without my absence being felt, but your sudden disappearance would cause concern.”

Rimbaud led the way back through the dark hallways, glad of the purposeful movement that chased the chill numbness from his limbs. He took one turn that differed from their previous path, opening a door into the storeroom. Whispering lest they be heard by guests or staff, they decided quickly what was necessary to take along without being overly cumbersome. Deftly, Estelyn packed provisions into two small bundles, while her companion disappeared through the opening in the wall.

Only moments later, Rimbaud quietly re-entered the room, grasped one bundle and led the way back down to the passages. When they entered the room with the trap-door, he pushed the wooden door behind them shut as far as possible.

“No need to let anyone who might find their way here know where we have gone,” he said curtly. His cloak parted as he moved, and Estelyn approvingly noted the sword that now hung at his side. Others might have thought it a strange weapon for a simple innkeeper, but she knew better than to wonder at it. She could feel the hard metal of her own dagger hilt on her hip, familiar and reassuring.

Rimbaud held the lantern over the dark square opening, peering down to see what lay beneath. “I will go first,” he said, placing the lantern on the floor. With that, he jumped into the hole, landing on the uneven, slippery ground below. Estelyn handed him the lantern, which he set aside before stretching his arms up to grasp her hands firmly as she followed him.

“I do not like to leave that opening, but I fear the stone is too heavy for us to move, and we may be glad to be able to get back in quickly,” he murmured. They stood still for a moment, listening and trying to discern which way their cautious steps should lead them.

[ December 11, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'