View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 01:44 PM   #88
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

As they rode on past Staddle, Amaranth looked around at the holes and wondered what it would be like to settle down here. Surely they couldn't be bothered too much by the Men of Bree around the hill, or they wouldn't stay. She sighed and looked back at the road. She'd commited herself to this journey to the Shire, and besides, she liked the company.

As they came around a bend in the path, they could see a group of Hobbits standing around, apparently picking fruit from the nearby trees. The three of them stopped to say hello. They exchanged pleasantries and learned that these Hobbits were, indeed, quite happy in Staddle and didn't want to go anywhere. As they were about to turn back onto the road, a voice piped up from the back of the group. It was a pretty little lass, and as she pushed her way to the front of the group, she said, "Baracas, is that you? It can't be!"
The big Hobbit was nearly speechless. "Linna? is that you? Linna!"
"Baracas! I thought I'd never see you again! What are you doing here?"
Baracas had leapt off his pony and they embraced eagerly.
"Well, I'm one of the Messengers from the Shire. Linna, come with us, with me, back to the Shire. I don't want to leave you again."
She stepped back and looked over at Dinodas and Amaranth, who were watching with somewhat confused interest. When she saw Amaranth, her jaw tightened and she took another step back. "No," she said, her voice determined. Still staring at the other lass, she continued, "No, it looks like you don't need me on this journey."
"What?" Confused, Baracas followed her gaze and shook his head, "No, no! She's just someone I found along the way. She's no one!"
"Really? Oh, Baracas, I would love to go with you, but I can't. My nother is ill...I-I can't leave her." She stood,looking at him sadly, then turned away. "Goodbye, Baracas. I'll remember you."
Near panic, Baracas stood, staring frantically back and forth between the ponies the departing lass. He caught Dinodas' eye once, and the other lad gestured him away. "What are you waiting for, Baracas? Go on! We can continue the mission." Dinodas had left a lass behind in the Shire and he well understood Baracas' dilemma.
This was all the encouragement Baracas needed. He ran after Linna, shouting, "Wait!"
She ran back to him and they disappeared into the trees, arm in arm, and were never again seen by anyone from the Shire.

Amaranth gave Dinodas an inscrutable look. "Why did you do that?" She asked.
Dionodas just shook his head and said, "It would be too hard to explain. Let's go."
Amaranth shrugged. She climbed off the pack animal and mounted Baracas' pony. Now that he was no longer with them, she could have a proper riding pony. The two of them turned and continued down the road.

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]