Thread: Kidnapped!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 08:42 PM   #18
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

"We will find people suited for such a journey. We will not let Nuhrive go," Sultir answered, "In fact, I'll volunteer! No rescue party is going anywhere without me!"

There was silence for a moment. Then The Lady leaned forward slightly and asked softly, "What is your name?"

"Sultir, My Lady," he answered as softly, brazenly meeting her gaze.

She stood straight again. "Sultir. A valiant name for a valiant child. Why do you wish to join the rescue mission?"

Sultir glanced around nervously. Faedhros and Jemel were looking at him as The Lady was, as adults to a child. He was on the spot and knew it; what answer could he give to convince The Lady to allow him to go? Finally, he took a deep breath, stood as tall as he could, and said with as much dignity as he could muster, "She's my best friend, My Lady. We've never been anywhere apart and I would like to help find her. I can be useful. I can be a messenger or a scout. I'm small and can move silently and without being seen. I believe I can be an asset on this rescue mission." Braving her gaze, he knew he had not convinced her. He was not going. He sighed and glanced at the others. It seemed they agreed with her, and in a way, so did he. He knew that all the benefits of having himself along could be better done by someone bigger and more experienced.

The Lady saw the thoughts on his face and did not humiliate him by telling him 'no'. Instead, she put a gentle hand on his shoulder and said, "I think you should be the one to tell her parents. You must have known them all your life."

He looked into her eyes again and saw that she did understand about he and Nuhrive. Slightly comforted by this fact, he nodded and turned away, to find Isolde and Milar and warn them before the found their quarters empty and their daughter gone. As he left, the three adults had gathered closer and a heated discussion had begun. What none of them knew was that he had no intention of staying calmly with Nuhrive's parents while strangers found his friend. He was certainly willing to be the one to tell Isolde and Milar, but not beyond that. He was going on the rescue mission, even if he had to sneak behind them.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]