View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #183
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stunned, Dr Marileangorifurnimaluim turned to face the conservatively dressed hobbit lady with the blue hair who had tapped her shoulder.

"Donation...?" Aside from the fact this was the head of the Garden Club which hadn't liked her article at all, Maril couldn't help but think of all the Elvish grants she lived off of... just barely. Her last one had run out, and she was reapplying for next year. She did have an advance on her next book, but that hardly covered --

Suddenly she heard strains of 'Sex Dwarves', and the craggy face of Mrs Chastitybelt in front of her froze in a rictus of pure horror. Maril realised it was suddenly rather bright in here and raised her arm to block off the spotlight.

Spotlight?

There was clapping all around her and she couldn't make any sense of it. Trenton jumped up and down behind her, and yelled, "You won! You won! Hahahahahahaha! That'll teach 'em!"

The doctor turned towards the stage, and dimly recognized that Mithadan held out a golden tombstone to her...

... really? Me? But I've hardly been around and it was just a little article really... Trenton gave her a shove towards the stage.

The microphone squealed as it was adjusted to accomodate her hobbit-stature.

"Um. This is rather unexpected." Maril shoved her glasses up the bridge of her nose and began in her dry, lecturer's voice.

The crowd stiffened. The tone of voice promised a dreary, dull acceptance speech. The scroll that fell out of her hands and unfurled into the orchestra did not bode well either.

"First I'd like to say, on behalf of all those in Books, that we tirelessly argue for canonical purity, and it is rare our scholarly efforts are ever recognized or even make much of an impression..."

BOOOM! Outside there was loud explosion. Clearly the Garden Club had got wind of the award and were ramping up their protest.

"...although, um, this may something of an exception. Ahem. So, ah, I accept this award on behalf of all those scholars in Books, Mr Underhill.."

The main doors began rattling dangerously, the crowd outside hammered in fury at this award. Dr Marileangorifurnimaluim glanced up nervously.

"...oh heck, you know who you are... thank you very much, gotta run --" The doctor bolted off the stage.

Breathing a collective sigh of relief, the crowd exploded with joyous clapping.

[ May 07, 2003: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]