View Single Post
Old 09-06-2002, 02:24 PM   #241
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

Mea Culpa! Wow.

Quote:
I thought, first, discussion threads were open to discussion from all
I did not say, nor did I mean to imply, that your post was unwelcome on our discussion thread. On the contrary, suggestions are always welcome, and while the discussion thread for a particular RPG is usually dedicated to discussions of what is happening (or is *about* to happen) in that particular RPG, as long as the post has bearing on that RPG, it is not going to be dismissed or deleted.

Quote:
I thought...second, that I had posted respectfully and could not be accused of flaming or rudely intruding on this thread
You were indeed most respectful, and anything I said that might have implied otherwise was entirely unintended. My "flamers" comment was not directed to you, but to others who do indeed try to "wing it" from the chat-room, and who get mad at me as a chat-moderator for stopping them from RP in the chat. If they want to create a separate chat-room for RP, that is fine, but the chat is for general discussions (sometimes Tolkien, sometimes not) and at BW's behest, I do not allow RP in the chat.

Quote:
your last paragraph tends still to dismiss everyone in the Freestyle room as frivolous chat monkeys who post RPGs on a whim.
And yet I freely request that if there are quality RPGs in the Freestyle Room, that someone point them out (which you did, thank you). Mithadan, one of the Forum Moderators, himself pointed out to the other Mods that there were a few worthwhile RP threads in Freestyle -- but he has time to read them all and sort them out. I don't, and I don't apologize for that fact.

I did NOT say that there is *nothing* good in the Freestyle Room. Having not read the room much, such a statement would be entirely presumption.

I did NOT say that all the RPG's there are "flighty", for the same reason.

I DID say, and repeat and clarify here, that if someone wants to create a quality RPG, it takes much more than 5 people who'd like to pretend they're elves, orcs, or hobbits.

And I DO say for-the-record that if there exists a well-written RPG that would be interesting to someone other than just the players, that was started by someone merely saying "Let's RP!" on the chat room, then I want to see it -- the last time a miracle of that magnitude occurred, 3 wise men came out of the east following a star.

If I have sounded defensive, it was unintentional. I was not defensive, but annoyed. I see now that my annoyance was not justified in your case. Please remember that I have to deal with all manner of immature imbeciles, starstruck droolers, and Tolkien-wannabees in the chat, and try to sort them out from the quality people who are there to socialize, mingle, and talk Tolkien when the mood strikes them.

Thanks for the recommendations for the Freestyle Room. I'll check them out when I have a moment. And by the way, while we did close the Rohan RP to new people sometime back, we have lost some of the people who used to post regularly. As a result, we have a number of Non-player characters who could use a good writer. If you are interested, please let me know!

Thenamir of Rohan
Author of "101 Recipes for Eating Crow"