View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #31
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama shoved her glass into Emilia's hands. "I think I'll go up to the washroom and change," she said in a shaky voice. "I see Addruran coming and I don't want to talk to him right now. Do you know where my mother is?"

Emilia shrugged vaguely. "Look about," she said. "I'm sure she's around." Then, putting a hand on Adrama's shoulder, she added, "Don't completely ignore Addruran. You may not want him as a husband, but he could be a valuable friend." Then, irritated, she snapped her hand back quickly. What had compelled her to say that? Had it been Adrama's tear-filled dark eyes, so lost, so hopeless, and looking as though she had no friend in the world?

Adrama took it in an entirely different way. She flushed and stood up straight, her eyes becoming distant and cold. Emilia was trying to urge her to forget Denethor... to marry Addruran! Just because she said 'friend, not husband' didn't mean that she meant it. "Thank you, Emilia," she said. "I think I'll go up to the washroom for awhile now. I'd like to get dressed in proper garment for the occasion, anyway. If you see my mother or father about, tell them where I am, and tell them I hope to speak to them soon."

Then, her back straight and her chin high, she left the room. Emilia waited until she was out of sight, then slipped off in the direction of Finduilas. Now was her chance.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Adrama stood in front of the large oval mirror in the room, smoothing down the skirts of her long, white dress. It was embroidered with silver along the hem of the skirt and also around the waist. The sleeves went down to her wrist, and then were cut back at the bottom side in a triangle to hang down. She had put it on unconciously, as if she didn't realize exactly what she was doing. Sooner or later she would find with a shock that she had put on the dress Addruran was always saying was his favorite of hers. Adrama hadn't wanted to admit it, but it was her own favorite, as well. And that was probably the reason Addruran said so. That man would do anything to gain her favor.

Smoothing out one last crinkle in the skirt and straightening the sleeve, Adrama bent a little to survey her head and make sure her hair was in place. It had been done in three braids. One on either side of her head, and on in the back. The braid on the back was brought up to rest on the top of her head, but not completely tight. There was a little slack where a white ribbon had been tied in a pretty knot and the tails of it hung down to the middle of her neck. The other two braids and been twisted around the first braid and around each other to fashion a little crown.

Adrama reached into a bag she had brought with her and pulled out a glittering white stone set in a necklace of silver. It had been a gift from her father... and engagement gift, when it had been almost certain that she would be engaged to Denethor. Surprisingly, no tears came to Adrama's eyes, but instead they glittered coldly. The woman in her came out and she fastened the necklace around her throat, looking at it carefully in the mirror. The stone was of great worth and one of the most beautiful she had ever set eyes upon. She would see if Finduilas' jewels could outshine her own.

Reminding to herself not to give Finduilas any cold stares, and to speak politely to her if the woman came to talk to her, Adrama gave a light-hearted laugh and left the room gracefully. At least she could speak to Denethor again. And then and there she made up her mind. Just because Finduilas was there didn't mean that the ball was spoiled. Balls were grand occasions, and Adrama was going to enjoy herself.

[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]