View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 11:33 AM   #140
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama's face grew pale as her mother scolded her and she began to tremble with anger at the injustice being done to her. If her mother knew, she might actually be pleased that her daughter was associating with Alethea. However, she listened, trying to hide her frustration, and nodded mutely when her mother finished. Pelien gave her one last look and left the room.

When she was certain her mother was gone, Adrama walked over to the nearest chair and kicked it. Her mother thought she was ruining her reputation. "Let my reputation be ruined," Adrama said between clenched teeth, her breath coming loud and hard. "I don't care at all. Let her think I'm a little brat. I don't care what she says."

Feelings began to overwhelm her, and she threw herself down on the chair she had previously been kicking. Her mother wanted her to be at tea tomorrow? Well, how would she feel if her daughter wasn’t there at all? Unable to speak clearly, Adrama said in barely a whisper, "Does she think I'm still a child? I'm twenty-five years of age. I'm not a child. If I want to ruin my reputation, I will. It's my decision now, not my mother's."

And it was all Finduilas' fault. What was this sudden barrier that came between Adrama and her mother? They had been such good friends before Finduilas had entered the scene. They had never been so tense around each other. If only Finduilas had never come, if only Denethor still...

"Stop!" Adrama nearly shouted. "You mustn't think of that or you might burst into tears." But then the feelings from earlier that evening came. Thinking of Denethor didn't upset her as much anymore.

She sat there a few minutes more, contemplating the idea of running away or kidnapping Finduilas and other silly, childish ideas. She never would have carried them out, but imagining it all brought her great comfort. At last she stood up and made her way slowly to her bedroom, stopping for a moment to say good night to her father. She didn’t say good night to her mother.

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]