View Single Post
Old 07-02-2002, 11:38 PM   #21
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child sat in the stern of the boat, hanging her legs out over the edge. She absently threw stones into the waters. To tell the truth, what Birdie had said sounded terribly accurate.

Why hadn't anyone searched for the little hobrim before now? Where were they? Just how long ago had he become separated from his Stoor cousins?

Child had tried to speak with Kali about the incident on deck, but he had simply refused to discuss the matter. Under his breath, he had whispered, "East good, north good, south good, but no go west. Azulada yes, adun no."

Child wondered what "azulada" and "adun" meant. She had no idea.

Child tried to ask Kali where he had learned these words or ideas. But he had looked into her eyes and shrugged his shoulders. Child thought she saw pain there too.

Child had then taken the strange phrases and shown them to everyone on board, hoping that they might be some obscure Elvish dialect which they would recognize. But everyone had looked at the words and merely shook their heads.

Perhaps, not quite everyone. Idril had read the words when Child came in and listened to the strange story of Kali's behavior. But, then, she had looked away. When she looked back at Child, there were tears in her eyes.

Idril whispered, "I can not aid you. For I am not permitted to interfere in the affairs of Middle-earth except under the direct command of my Lord Ulmo. As I have no such orders, you must find your way on your own."

As Child left the room, Idril called after her: "Not all things in this world can be mended, little hobbit. Remember that."

Child did not like the sound of that.

Child recalled that Uncle Bilbo had told her about the great libraries of Rivendell and Minas Tirith where you could find books of words for every language in the world. Perhaps, if she could find such a book, she would be able to figure out those words. Then she could track down the lost hobrim and find them.

Child took to following Kali around the ship, carrying a small paper and implement for writing. If a strange word came out of Kali's mouth, she had determined to write it down.

The plan, however, had not worked out so well. Kali was skillful at slipping away, and once he guessed Child was spying on him, he pulled inside himself and refused to speak.

One time, however, Child managed to crawl behind a barrel and watch as Kali stood on the deck. He threw his head back and looked up sadly into the sky. Child felt ashamed as she knew she was looking at something very private, but still she strained her ears to listen. "Ah, Gimilnitir, Avale. Nakh mano lomi. Ephalak idon Yozayon."

Child crept away into the night.