View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:21 PM   #129
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio had been quite busy since the departure of Mithadan. She enlisted Angara to patrol the deck with her, promising that she would trade riddles with her and listen to her songs of the 'old days'. She could almost see the wyrm puff up like a pleased music teacher when she agreed to sing a Lay or so with her.

'We need to sing quietly, though.' she admonished the dragon. 'The others will be sleeping soon, I hope.'

'You mean to make a night of this, don't you?' asked Angara.

'Yes, the ship will be safe and all our precious "cargo" will be safe, also.'she replied. 'Now, please watch the exits from the deck while I speak with Levanto.'

Entering silently into the inky waters below the Star, she called softly. 'Levanto! Are you there?'

A ripple of water beat soft against her back and she turned, just in time to see him surface.

'Nice night for a swim!' he said in a hushed voice. 'May I join you?' The starlight sparkled in his merry eyes.

'Not tonight, sweet sea-prince,', she replied, in a flattering tone. 'I have a favor to ask of you.'

'Ask away, lady mine!', he replied in kind. 'I am yours to command.'

'Well, then, here's my plan.' she said, cozying up to him to seal the agreement, and began to talk to him of patrolling the waters about the ship to keep it safe tonight. And if anyone tried to enter or leave the ship by water, then he was to net them and bring them to her.

She climbed back to the deck and shook off the water as much as possible. There was a gentle, warm breeze playing up from the harbor to the land, and she hoped it would have her dry soon.

Sitting down in the shadows near the gangplank, she loosed her knife from her belt, and made herself as comfortable as possible to pass the night.

Angara! Come let us sing and talk. The night is long, but our memories are longer.