View Single Post
Old 07-11-2002, 11:11 AM   #151
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The King Elessar summoned Mithadan and Khelek to the side where they spoke quietly.

"Khelek," said the King. "You are well known to me from even before I took up the Sceptre of Annuminas and the Crown of Gondor. I do not believe that you mean any ill to the Hobrim or their cousins from the Shire. Yet the words of Gandalf move me to caution. So I ask from whence your interest in the Hobrim arises. Maybe in this way, the doubts of my guests may be allayed."

"My Lord," began Khelek. "You are wise to heed the cautions of Mithrandir, who I also knew. And when I came upon these Hobbits researching precisely the same matters in your libraries, I was also alarmed. For in my travels I came across stories and ancient lays dating from ages past dealing with Halflings, which warned that within that race was held the key to the destruction of great evil but that even after that evil might be destroyed danger yet abides for the Halflings also hold the key to reviving such evil. Little more do I know, but I am now satisfied that Mithadan and his friends should hear what I have to say and should receive my aid."

Aragorn looked long at the Elf who met his eyes unwaveringly. Then he nodded. "Mithadan, if I be any judge of these matters then I believe that you should accept Khelek's aid. He has not before been a worker for evil and he is not now. But what would you have of me now? Such assistance as I may give to your quest is yours. Indeed, I consider this a payment of a debt for rarely indeed have new things arisen under the sun and you have given me a chance to see one such thing, your friend Kali here."

"My Lord," replied Mithadan. "You are exceedingly generous. I will accept your advice, but as to your offer for now we need only one thing; to meet with the Lord Faramir. For it is said in the Shire by those who know these tales that when he first met Frodo and Sam he revealed to them certain dreams he had of a great wave of dark waters rising up to cover lands. It seems that Kali shares these same dreams and we hope some benefit may come of such a meeting."

"That shall be done simply enough," said Elessar with a small smile. "For Faramir is in the City today, having come but recently from Ithilien. I shall have him meet with you on your vessel, for I beleive he would also enjoy meeting Kali."

[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]