View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 09:58 AM   #222
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The waters of the bay had stopped bucking, and people were returning to their normal routines, although in a more unsettled frame of mind. With two new crew members on board, it would take a while until things felt totally comfortable.

Child was in the galley preparing food for the evening meal. She was soon laughing and chatting with Rose, forgetting her problems with Daisy and Mithadan. She had heard something about Bird or Pio preparing a diversion for the ship, and that sounded fine to her.

Daisy had gone up on deck with mop, bucket, and polishing cloth to begin her list of chores. She was still in an angry mood, and was standing in the middle of a large puddle of water, vigorously attacking it with a mop when Kali came up to her.

"What are you doing? Big mop for little hobbit!" he commented.

Daisy scowled at him, "I can handle this mop very well, thank you. "And Mithadan has given me a list of chores that will take forever to finish. Child and even Rose were no help defending me. They just hung their heads and said they were sorry and acted very respectful."

Kali nodded, "Mithadan in charge of ship. At Sea, where bad things happen fast, someone make big decisions. And everyone respects that someone, even if they don't like what he says. On Lonely Star, Mithadan is that someone for us."

Daisy said nothing, but kept mopping with renewed energy.

Kali picked up the polishing cloth which had been flung over the rail and systematically began to attack the brass fixtures on the ship. Daisy glanced back at him. "What are you doing?"

"I'm helping you," Kali replied. If you finish early and the bay stays calm, we go out for a swim before dark. Pio and Child told me you like the Sea and are a good swimmer. Kali can show you many things in the ocean."

Daisy continued mopping, but did not say no.