View Single Post
Old 07-18-2002, 05:54 PM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Daisy slid down slowly from her bunk, her eyes wide. She glanced at the cabin door, wondering if she could make a quick escape. All hope of that left as the elf pushed the door shut, never taking her eyes of the hobbit.

Pio sat herself in a chair, directly in front of the door, to be more of a height with the hobbit. 'Come here Daisy. Stand up straight and let me get a good look at you.' She handed the hobbit a clean handkerchief and gave her time to dab the tears from her face, and blow her nose.

'You've stepped over the line twice, now.' she said in an even voice to the frightened girl. 'The line of courteous behavior and of kindness. Once can be excused. You are new and unaccustomed to the companions with whom we travel. But twice is a different matter.'

Daisy opened her mouth to protest, but the elf cut her off.

'You seem a bright young woman,Daisy, and I had hoped that you could school your temperament and your tongue. But I find it not so. Needs be then, I will be your teacher.' She stood up from the chair and handed Daisy one of child's old rucksacks. 'Now pack what belongings you have in here. You will be bunking with me.'

'With . . . you? Pio?' stammered Daisy.

'Yes, you heard correctly. You will be my shadow, stuck to me by day and night. And here are your beginning lessons. First, when you address me, it will be as ma'am, or Lady Piosenniel. And second, you will not speak with anyone but myself unless you first ask me and I have given you leave to do so. Are we clear on that?'

'Yes', came the grudging reply.

Pio looked at her, eyebrows raised.

'Yes, ma'am.' said Daisy.

'Good. Now hurry up! We need to get your gear stowed in my cabin. Then a quick wash up to make yourself look more presentable. I have a number of things to do tonight, and you will come with me.'

'Ma'am,' said Daisy, following her quickly down the hall. 'What happens if I step over that line you talked about again.'

Pio, opening the door to her cabin said in a very matter of fact tone: 'Then I will put you in a boat and the mer-people will speed you back to Minas Anor. And you will have missed out on the greatest adventure of your life.'

'Oh!' said Daisy as they entered Pio's cabin. & then remembering herself, finished with 'I see, ma'am.'