View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 05:57 PM   #282
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

A long night had advanced into a long day, and now evening was upon her.

Pio had spent most of the day looking at Tuor's navigational map with Mithadan. The storm had proved fortuitous, and now they were just off the coastline of the sunken realm of Beleriand. Tomorrow the ship would turn north once again and head for the sunken bay of Balar. Angara and she would then risk a flight to sight for landmarks, and the ship would attempt its first time shift.

But tonight, the ship had dropped anchor per request of Child. They were to have a birthday celebration for Daisy, her 16th birthday. 'A special day in any young one's life.' thought Pio. 'I must find her a special present to celebrate it.'

She showered, trying to wash off her weariness. Once dried, she pulled from her bag a soft grey dress with a border of shells and flying seabirds along the neck and lower sleeves picked out in silver thread. Tugging it over her head, she smoothed out the wrinkles, and passed her fingers through her dark curls.

'Angara,' she said to the dragon lying on the foot of her bunk, 'come help me pick out a gift.' She pulled a large leather roll from under her bed, and unrolled it in front of the dragon. Her hands travelled over several items until she found the one she sought.

'What do you think of this?', she asked, holding it aloft.

'A handsome gift,' said Angara, 'but are you sure you want to give it away, and to her?'

The elf smiled. 'Yes, I'm sure.' She placed it on a piece of soft leather and rolled it up, securing it with a leather thong.

Pio left it on Daisy's pillow, and then the two of them went to the dining area to join the others for the party.

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]