View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 06:20 PM   #296
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Dragons were amazing creatures in flight. They could generate great speed with their large wing-span and aerodynamic bodies.Unfortunately, their top speed was not one which other, more earth-bound creatures, could endure, or even survive.

Rose was glad that Pio had told her to dress warmly. They had risen far into the sky, where the air was colder. That, combined with their speed, made her shiver even in the blanket the elf had wrapped around her.

Angara had planned to fly this high - it would be less likely that a casual observer would take any notice of her, and she knew that it had been many long years since the coastal people had set dragon watches.

They were heading northeast from the ship. Pio hoped to sight the city of Vinyalondë to her right and the tip of the northwestern coast of Harlindon to her left. From between these two large points, she looked to find Mt Dolmed. Once this was known, she knew she could determine the distance from it to the coast of Beleriand, using her instruments and the rough drawn map she had sketched in her notebook.

It took them almost two hours to make the flight and do the sightings. Rose's fingers were numb with cold, but she held firm to the pencil and wrote down the stream of numbers and directions that Pio directed at her.

An hour later the dragon made a graceful landing in the waters near the ship, and the elf and hobbit rowed themselves back to the Lonely Star. Rose's teeth were chattering and her cheeks had a red, angry look to them from the cold, chafing wind.

Several cups of hot tea later, and a consultation with Veritas and Mithadan, the crew began sailing the elven ship northwest, keeping about a 450 mile distance between themselves and the present coastline. In approximately a day or two, they would reach the area just beyond the Bay of Balar on the Beleriand coastline.

Child came to the bow railing and stood with Pio looking out at the expanse of water. 'Well, it was a successful class, if I do say so.' she said. 'Although, tomorrow, I don't think I'll schedule it for after lunch. Had to poke too many people with my pointer who were dozing off after eating!'

She leaned her elbows on the railing. 'I thought we might have that visual you were talking about just before you left. Did you decide we should cancel that?'

'No, we'll still do that, but in a few hours. I'd like it to be later, with the sun setting behind us and off a forested, less populated section of Beleriand's coast. What say we have an early supper and do it then?'

Child nodded her head, and went down to enlist Daisy, Khelek, and Kali in the preparations for the meal.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]