View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 01:00 PM   #765
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

OOC -- GREAT WARG AND I DOUBLE POSTED AND THEN DOUBLE EDITED!! PRETTY TALENTED AREN'T WE! LET'S LEAVE THESE FOR NOW. WE CAN ALWAYS BLEND THEM TOGETHER IN THE FANFICTION EDITING.
Mithadan pushed Khelek aside and interjected his thoughts, "Reckless? Reckless!" I'll be the judge of what is reckless, and what is prudent. If you want your people to be safe from the prying eye of Sauron, I would suggest you follow orders."

Rose looked up at Mithadan, a look of anger and exasperation on her face. She held her temper, and walked away, muttering under her breath. Mithadan also scowled and went below returning to his cabin.

Child had watched this entire scene with some trepidation. It was not what Mith had said that alarmed her. It was how he had said it.

She looked over at Piosenniel for help, but the Elf deliberately turned her head and went to busy herself with another task.

Child had seen Mithadan under severe pressure in Gondolin, but he had not reacted in this manner. She found it hard to believe that his anger and discomfort were merely a product of the Star and its quest. Somehow, this seemed far more personal. She decided to follow the Man down to his cabin and let him know she was concerned and that, perhaps, it might help to share his thoughts.

Child figured the worst that could happen was that she would be thrown out on her ear. This didn't seem too terrible a price to pay in order to try and help a friend. She clambored down below deck and knocked loudly on Mithadan's door.

-----------------------------------------

Mithadan felt the stares of the others on his back as he stalked away to his cabin. He threw the door open, rushed through the portal, then slammed it behind him with surprising violence. Unbuckling his belt, he threw it and its weaponry onto the bed and began pacing the confines of his quarters.

Mumbling angrily under his breath, he walked back and forth with fists clenched until he saw his reflection in the mirror hanging on the wall. Stopping in his tracks, he examined the image in the glass; his back ramrod straight, shoulders thrust back and tight, veins standing out on his neck and temples, teeth clenched tightly in a scowl that was nearly a growl.

"If it is possible, you are more foolish even than you look," he said to his reflection. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep, ragged breath. He forced himself to relax, lowering his shoulders, easing the tension in his neck and face and slumping slightly. He opened his eyes and looked again at his image in the mirror. A sheepish smile appeared on his face and he laughed. "Now, idiot, you look a bit more like yourself," he whispered.

He reached for the bottle of wine, then stopped -- no answers there. Instead, he stretched, hearing his neck crackle and pop. "I suppose I must apologize to Rose and Khelek," he said. Just as he turned to the door, he heard a knock. After a moment's hesitation, he opened the door and admitted Cami.

"Cami," he began. "I was just going to..."

"You are going nowhere," she interrupted. "Sit down, please." He opened his mouth to protest, but she scowled and gestured angrily to the chair. "Sit!" With a slight sigh, he obeyed the Hobbit's instruction.

It was her turn to pace. As she strode back and forth, she spoke with an occaisional gesture. "Whatever ails you, Mithadan, I would remind you that we look to you for guidance, and your mood does not sit well with the crew. You owe both Khelek and Rose apologies!" He opened his mouth, but she silenced him with a gesture and continued.
"I know that you are under great pressure, and I think I understand your feelings concerning Numenor, but we are all under pressure and need your leadership. Instead, you mope about and rant like a child. Whatever you have bottled up within you, you must release it!"

"You think I should apologize to Rose and Khelek?" he said with mock surprise. "Well, perhaps I have had a lot on my mind of late and have allowed it to interfere with my duties. You're right, I will speak to Rose and Khelek." He stood and went to the door.

Surprised that the conversation had gone so easily, Cami stopped him again. "Add Piosenniel to your list as well! You go and risk your life, then you call her back to us, then suddenly you begin acting as if you despise her. She does not deserve such treatment."

Mithadan looked gravely at the Hobbit for a moment. Then, though he looked troubled, he smiled. "Aye, little Andreth indeed!" he replied. "I have acted like a fool. I will set matters to rights. Thank you Cami."

[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]