View Single Post
Old 07-25-2002, 12:54 PM   #282
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bethberry's door slightly was open when she came to it. She rapped lightly and then opened it.

She heard two voices, speaking quietly, and saw the still fitfully sleeping form of Bird lying on the bed.

Her friend was pale, her face grimacing at times as some bad dream played beneath her purpled eyelids. She pushed back a lock of Bird's lank hair that had fallen across her face, and stroked her cheek, willing her back to consciousness and health. 'How did she do for you?' she asked Bethberry, turning toward the tired woman.

Bethberry quietly filled Holly in on her concerns. 'I suppose it will be like my mother used to say when we were sick and she had dosed us with medicines and poultices.' said Holly,taking in all that Bethberry had done for Bird.

Bethberry waited for her to finish the thought.

'It's Tincture of Time, now that will be the best medicine.', she said.

Holly pulled the covers straight over Bird, and lifting her head, turned the pillow for a fresh side.

'Would you like me to watch for a while, while you freshen up and change clothes?' she offered Bethberry. 'Perhaps you and Naaramare can go down and get some breakfast then. I'll stay here with her.'