View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 06:00 AM   #289
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie confessed: her face getting hot with embarassment as she recounted to Holly what she had done while in the Ranger's satchel.

"I think he was rather upset, Holly. I mean, more upset than just getting a nip from a Neekerbreeker, if you take my meaning. I may have eaten something important. But I really don't know HOW important!"

"Well, didn't you read it?" asked Holly

NO!" protested Birdie. "I didn't go into that Ranger's bag to spy. I went in to escape that driver's hand trying to flatten me! And then because the parchment smelled so good - at least to a Neekerbreeker. Even if I had wanted to read it, it would have been impossible. The satchel was dark, and the scroll still tightly rolled."

Bird covered her face with her hands and shook her head "Oooooooh, I'm in so much trouble! "They say 'never meddle in the affairs of wizards...', but 'meddling' in the affairs of Rangers has to be just as bad!"

Holly sat back and rolled her eyes. She had to admit, this was pretty bad. Holly remembered the insistance of the Ranger when he found Olo and herself outside the inn. Something was up around here, that was certain, and Birdie's 'theft' may have effected those plans. Not a good situation for a skin-changer who tried her best to stay out of the way of the more lofty (and dangerous) denizens of Middle Earth.

"So do you think he knew that the "Neekerbreeker" in his bag wasn't actually a Neekerbreeker?"

"Noooo...I don't think so. How could he? Unless he saw you coming to my rescue when I was under the steps, and can put two and two together." The thought that the Ranger might associate Holly with Bird's latest "adventure" made the Hobbit tinker shift uncomfortably in her seat.

But then her "hobbit sense" took over again. She let out her breath with a "whooosh", slapped her hands on both knees, and stood up. "Well, there's nothing to be done for it now. Perhaps you ate nothing more important then his shopping list for the greengrocer. It's a new day, and we'll find out soon enough just what up around here. Or perhaps we won't. But for now, Periwinkle needs checking on, and I smell breakfast cooking in the common room. Would you like me to bring you a tray?"

"No," said Birdie with a pitious tone. "I may never eat again." Then she hesitated and admitted "Though the coffee does smell mighty good."

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]