View Single Post
Old 05-02-2002, 11:55 AM   #20
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Corvu flew back to Magda. Fedwie sat curled up in the shelter of the Oliphaunt's ear-flap, while she watched the old crow lean down and whisper urgently in his new friend's left ear.

Magda sighed. "I can do nothing for these creatures now, as you see me. And I believe Maleficent is asking far too much of any of us. What cause does he have to concern himself with the welfare of this human calf?"

"I don't know!" hissed Corvu, "but a promise is a promise. He healed my wing, good as new. Favors must be returned, at least from my end. You will do, or not do, as you see fit."

"Of course I will", said Magda matter-of-factly. She rolled one small eye towards her right shoulder. "For now, take Fedwie." Corvu hopped in the air in surprise.

"What! The little chit. For what?"

"For now, all you need is a good pair of eyes. Those he has. But bring him back! I've grown fond of 'the little chit', you know." Magda smiled.

Corvu eyed the mouse as she would eye a rotten branch. "Come then. Well, hop on," she said. "You wanted adventure. Here it is. Unless you want me to drop you off at your hole in the wall again."

Fedwie could never explain later why he jumped. But jump he did, and crouched between the soft back feathers of the crow, digging his claws into the down as solidly as he could and shutting his eyes. Corvu launched and winged her way to the pole corral beside the compound where the wolf was chained.

She eyed the chain linked to the female wolf nervously. "20 wings, at least 20...so 25 should do."

"Why am I here, Corvu?" said Fedwie, climbing down and crouching as near as he could to the post of the corral. The dark was full of predators, and the presence of Corvu was not as comforting as the protection of his new friend Magda.

"I must speak to the female wolf. YOUR job is to keep an eye on the other, there, in the shadows. If he moves, you sound the alarm. I can only watch one at a time."

"But I thought these wolves were your friends. You seemed so happy to know that they were here."

"Friends!" exclaimed Corvu. "Of course not! I'f I'm happy, it's because Wolves that are not Wargs will restore a balance to our world that has been lost. They are important. They are welcomed. But Friends? By wings and beak, they're still primary predators, and most likely hungry, to boot."

"Friends", she scoffed. "Do you take me for an fledgling? Now you just keep your eye on that male. If something happens to me, you'll have a long walk back to your 'friend', Magda. Now look sharp. I'm going."

"With a flip of her wings, Corvu landed quietly in front of the chained wolf. 25 wing-lengths away.