View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 04:16 PM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

ooc: these recent posts might be better somewhere else, I seem to be clashing with the flow again. Apologies. Suggestions for better placing gratefully accepted... (end ooc)

Over young Kesha's snoring, Gamba heard Phura's restless sigh beside him. Gamba rolled halfway over. "You awake?"

"Yes."

"Bad dreams?"

"No, not bad. The same one I always have."

Gamba thought that over, guessing that at last, he understood. "Down by the water, when Levanto first came, and I said that everything good was finally happening, you said you wanted one more thing."

Phura waited.

"You meant Azraph, wasn't it? That one more thing that you wanted."

"Well-- no, not really. I mean, that wasn't what I had in mind. At the time."

"No?"

"I wasn't thinking about her at the time, " Phura stammered. "I guess if you put it that way, then I could ask for two more things. Azra and the other."

"So what's the other?"

Silence.

Gamba persistantly bugged Phura, and at last he hesitantly replied.

"It's not something I really know how to talk about."

"Well, try."

"It's got to do with an old song. One that not many people learn."

"I hate it when you and Loremaster have these deep secrets."

"I know."

"So, tell me."

Phura hesitated. "Nobody quite knows, " he waffled, "but some people think it's about somebody that Lindo met."

"Who did he meet?"

"Well, nobody quite knows exactly, anymore. That's been lost, although there are hints in Tocca's Addendum. But something happened to him."

Gamba blinked. "To Lindo?"

"Well, I think so. Loremaster doesn't think it's quite like I think it is."

"What isn't like you think?"

Phura sighed. "I've said way too much. And nobody really knows. It's all guessing."

More answers that didn't answer anything, Gamba fumed, knowing that once Phura started closing down, pressure would only tighten him further. Gamba gave up. "Well, are you going to be able to sleep?"

"You could sing, " Phura sighed. Gamba sang several lullabyes but Phura did not sleep. Gamba finally did, though, drifting off in mid-verse, and Phura lay awake listening to both Gamba and Kesha's snoring together.

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]