View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 07:50 AM   #155
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Having ordered supplies for the Star, including a small boat to tow behind the skiff to carry barrels of water, Mithadan and Ancalimon found a small inn near the waterfront and took a room there. After a light dinner and some debate between the two, they elected to enter the inn's common room to listen to the town's gossip.

The company assembled there was a combination of sailors and locals. A small fire burned in a stone-encased pit in the center of the room. Ordering two ales, Mithadan and his companion settled in to listen to the conversations around them. At first, most spoke about business or weather, but, after a few minutes, a man entered wearing some form of uniform.

A grizzled sailor at the bar turned and called out to the newcomer. "Hoy! Duinir! Seen any dragons today?" Many in the crowd laughed and hooted at the comment, but Duinir scowled. "Joke if you will," he replied. "But the word from Armenelos is that such a beast was indeed sighted and a reward will be paid to any who help locate the wyrm."

The sailor chuckled. "Ain't seen no wyrm," he cried. "But I seen some flying fish and a few birds. Any reward for that?" The company laughed and one stood and shuffled about the room with arms extended and flapping. Duinir's frown changed to a smile as he sat and received a mug.

"What word from the West?" called another. "What of the King's fleet?" Duinir turned to look at the speaker and responded, "If tales be right, the fleet won't even reach the West until a fortnight passes. Then we'll see if any may resist the power of Numenor!"

Some in the room fell quiet at these words, but others cheered and one rose holding his pint and cried, "To the King! Who seeks life everlasting for his subjects!" And the cry was taken up by others, "To the King!" The sailor rose unsteadily, and shouted, "Aye! Life and more. Once we put down the West I want me a wife, a fine Elf wench. I hear they're beautiful..." "But can they cook?" cried another.

Mithadan and Ancalimon drained their mugs and stood, ready to leave. The sailor, seeing them rise, cried out, "Hey! What's the matter? The lordling don't like Elf women?" He staggered over to stand unsteadily before Mithadan who forced a smile onto his face and spoke companionably, "I like them well, indeed. They are fair beyond compare...or so I'm told. But its been a long day and we're weary."

"Awww. The lordling's weary," replied the sailor. "Won't stay for another drink and tell some tales. Come, tell us what makes you so weary!"

Ancalimon stepped forward and reached into his pouch to pull forth a large gold coin which he held up in the light. It flashed as he turned it in his hand. Then he cried, "To the King! Drinks for the house!" He threw the coin over to the bar where it landed with a clink on its edge and spun for a moment noisily until it fell flat. Every head in the room had turned to watch the coin arc through the air, but when they turned back, Ancalimon and Mithadan were gone...

In the hallway, Ancalimon smiled as they jogged to their room and commented, "I didn't say which King..."