View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 07:42 AM   #17
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

JCamilo posted
Quote:
At some point he called her the most powerful noldor, but for Feanor back in Valinor, which is too much for Elrond...
I must agree. Although there are several things to consider here. 1st off. JRRT was very loose with the terms like 'greatest', 'wisest', etc.

Someone once compiled a short list like this that was staggeringly full of seeming contradictions.

In the Shibboleth of Feanor [ JRRT's last major writing on the Noldor c.1969, JRRT said, if my memory serves me well, that Galadriel ws secong only to Feanor. And indeed his conception of her stature grew radically over the years, even though she was not present in the Lost Tales or even until the LotR itself.

So while Elrond was created first Galadriel was being slotted as the Noldorin 'yin', to Feanor's 'yang'. The analogy holds true on virtually all levels, especially in the sense that the chinese see 'Yang' as buring its self out quickly, and yin as long enduring and conquring in the end.

Several other points in Galadriel's favor are:
* the already mentioned dwelling in Aman, and
*direct tutlage of the Valar. [Elrond had none, though Cirdan was in essence it would seem from the 'last writings' [in HoM-E 12] was seen as Ulmo's perpetual point man in M-E].
* To me this is the most important, the mentorship of Melian - No other elf [excepting Luthien on 2 counts] had access to such wisdom, learning and I think direct one on one teaching re: maintaing a realm [ especially as a woman, with a less powerful man at your side too to boot!], a girdle [although Galadriel's is quite different], reading the thoughts of the Enemy.

She alone was an original keeper of one of the three. Elrond having his second hand, and Cirdan not needing it!

finally, she alone among the elves [with the exception of a momentary glimpse of Glorfindel] is cast repeatedly in a near worshiful light. The fellowship upon meeting her in Caras Galadhon is in an altogether differnt level of presence, clearly than we see with any of Elrond's audience's. And it ain't due to Celeborn either [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]!

So my understanding such as it is, sides with Galadriel hands down.

Not to demean Elrond or Cirdan [ or Glorfindel] but I think JRRT went out of his way to indicate Galadriel's surpassing greatness.

One other point.

The Children of Finarfin are unique in all of the mentioned Eldar in that they alone posess the blood and characterisitics of all three Houses of the High-Elves, and were [ as best as can be ascertained] 1/4 Noldor, 1/4 Vanyar and 1/2 Teleri.

Thus she and Finrod stand out [and Tolkien names them such in at least a couple of places] as the ideal ['wisest and noblest'] male and female Elves to have ever been in Aman or Endor.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote